Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deployed Sailor Mom needs advice

Default Deployed Sailor Mom needs advice

I am a first time mom who is also in the Navy. i had to deploy when my baby girl was 4 months old. i had saved enough milk to freeze and use for the original time i was to be gone. Now my ship has extended and my husband has emailed me that the milk supply is almost gone. i have been trying to pump to keep the lactation active but the amount seems to be steadily decreasing.

I was wondering if i am still able to produce milk when i return home, even though it's a small amount right now, is there a possibility that it will increase again once i am able to interact with my baby? Is the milk still good to give her at that point? Thank you for any help you can offer me!

Default Re: Deployed Sailor Mom needs advice

OH WOW! Yes Mama.
    Any amount you produce will be GOOD. You should really really try to keep up your production by pumping mulitiple times a day. You have rights make the government respect them. Perhaps you could also see about shipping some milk home? Maybe that would motivate you to keep up with pumping? Women do it. IF you have access to FEDEX it could work.

At any rate as soon as you are home and able to get your child to your breast, yes you should be able to increase your supply to meet her demand. Good luck to you. I could not be separated from my baby like that. MY heart goes out to you and your LO. Godspeed.
    Shelly

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you so much for your support and the great advice. Unfortunately i had wanted to save the milk i was producing but because i am "a sailor first" they would not be able to give me a sanitary way to pump and store my breastmilk. They actually wanted me to stop the lactation! It's something i want to fight for for other active duty mothers. But for now i will have just keep up the pumping and hope that i will still be able to provide for my baby girl. Thanks again!!!

My hat is off to you! Your committment to your country and your family is admirable. Keep up the pumping and you will absolutley be able to nurse again when you get home!! You inspire me, to think I moaned and cried when I went back to work for 8 hours!!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Wow, your post almost made me cry, I am just in awe of your commitment. I hope that you get a long time with your baby girl to make up for the time that you have been away. I hope that everything works out fine.

Zandee, I don't have time to type right know (I'm packing for my flight tomorrow), but check back later, hopefully I'll get a chance to write b4 I leave. I was kind on your situation once like 4 yrs ago when I was a Marine, so I'll share my experiencie with you.

Hang in there!

Hi! I had our 2nd child about 2 months ago. My husband missed the first year of our 1st child because he was deployed to Iraq. He says the only positive thing about that was no dirty diapers for him to change Definitely keep pumping. My husband is in the Army. He has had female soldiers under his leadership and supervision throughout his 12 years that have had babies. I know policies differ between the 2 branches, but from our experiences, a sanitary place to pump has to be given to mothers who are still breastfeeding. Your command can not force you to stop pumping. The only thing your command can do is limit certain times of the day you can pump due to mission requirements. However, one way to combat your command is informing them of the possibility of developing mastitis, and you shouldn't have any more issues with pumping. You could also take advantage of the blue to green program offered through the Navy and the Army and not worry about this problem ever again. Just a thought.

There are some herbs your husband can buy also to send to you to help keep your milk supply up. Another thought is try looking at a picture of your baby while you pump. This also might help in keeping your milk supply up.

Please, if you have any questions, pm me and I will do everything I can to help find the answers.

Laura

Laura, I'm so glad you chimed in! There's just not a lot of experienced mothers out there who have been in a similar situation.

OP - you can definitely nurse again when you and baby are back together. You may have to help her re-learn to nurse again. Read up on info about nursing strikes for help doing that.

To keep your supply up, or being it up higher when you're back together, the standard helps for low milk supply should be just fine for you. Many adoptive mothers can bring in a full supply for their infants; you can definitely work to increase your supply, too! :-)
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Lightbulb Re: Deployed Sailor Mom needs advice

I joined these forums to tell you...you aren't alone. No the Command cannot tell you to stop lactation. I'm Army, and if I were told that, I'd contact IG (Inspector General) for clarification. However, to date, there are NO DOD reg's about breastfeeding. Sad, huh ? We can die defending our nation, but aren't guaranteed the simple pleasure of providing the best for our children. Pretty much it is, 'slap that good 'ole formula bottle in the kids mouth because you are a soldier/salior/airmen/marine first.' I have 1 DD who's 2 that I sucessfully bf'd through her first year while on AD.
    As far as the supply issues, I'd imagine that the milk would increase, however, it was my experience that around 7-8 months DD didn't need as much milk because she was eating more solids. Good luck girl, stay safe!

I have no advice, I just wanted to and thank you for your dedication to your LO and my LO. Stay safe and come home. Everything will be fine with you baby, low supply is enough for her to stimulate more
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!