Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When did/will you stop NIP?

Default When did/will you stop NIP?

Konur was about 3.5 years old the last time we NIPed and it was at a play area in a mall and with other LLL friends. He hurt himself and nothing else was helping, so I let him nurse for a few minutes. Generally, I say we need to wait til we get home and he is okay with it. He would nurse all the time if I let him though.

Mali is almost 2 and I have no idea when we will stop. Around that age I would guess.

I stopped because I know that people can report me and its not something I care to deal with. I know it's legal, but I have heard horror stories about women being investigated for child abuse for nursing an older child. I would just rather not take that chance. I will nurse him in front of friends and family though, they need to see that it's normal and natural, but not strangers. I guess that's a cop out, huh?
    Lori )O(
    Extended nursing, home birthing, unschooling, Nursing Necklace making, WAHM to Konur 3-11-01 and Mali 6-16-04
    Leave Nursing Necklaces Feedback Here

Default Re: When did/will you stop NIP?

Emily was just a little over 3 the last time she NIP'ped; she had gotten really upset after church, and during a business meeting, we sat and nursed for a few minutes. She hadn't asked to NIP for several months prior to that, so I figured if she was willing to ask, she must really be upset. With Liam, we'll just have to see where we end up, but probably after age 4 I wouldn't.

Now at the age of 1, she mainly only nurses around nap and bed time. So, we don't nurse in public much anymore. The only time I do is if she is hurt and nothing else will calm her.

And Konur's mom, I understand and don't think it's a cop out. You can have a nasty Child Protective Investigator come and remove your child for abuse. The next day, the judge would give them back for no legal grounds for removal. But, your child would be traumatized for the day. It's a scary and crazy world we live in when you can't nurse your own child for fear of being reported for abuse.

Anyway, I used to counsel kids who were taken from their families.

I'm chuckling, because my attitude was always sort of the opposite. Once Michael hit age 2.5 or so, I didn't mind nursing in front of strangers, but I was reluctant to nurse in front of non-LLL friends. (Family is less of an issue simply because we have none nearby.)

The activist in me just says, "Bring it on!" to anyone dumb enough to call CPS because my healthy, thriving little boy still nurses (well, he's weaned now, but you know what I mean.) I'm sure it would in fact be terribly upsetting to deal with all that, but somehow that is just the furthest thing from my mind. But like most people, I do care what friends think.

The last time I remember nursing Michael in public, he was a few months past his 3rd birthday. We were at a playground; my husband played in an adult soccer league, and I was watching another player's 2 children and my Michael while the other parents were playing soccer nearby. It was early spring and got very chilly after dark, and a bad time of day for a playdate. Michael got wild and then upset, and he was frantic to nurse. I couldn't take him to a private spot, because I was watching the other two children, so I just nursed him on a bench with lots of people of all ages around.

The only person who noticed or said anything was our friend's little girl, a darling 2.5yo whose mother had weaned her in infancy. She was curious, and came to watch, and asked me what Michael was doing. I simply sad, "He's nursing; it will help him feel happier." She accepted that explanation quite easily and went on playing -- as did Michael after just a few minutes of nursing.

After that incident, Michael rarely asked and never (in my judgment) really needed to NIP -- and we weaned soon after his fourth birthday.

--Rebecca

I don't remember how old Leila was when we last NIP'd 3+ I think.... I don't remember where or the circumstances, either But, she's come to work with me since 6 weeks old, always nursing in front of people, & just last week she randomly said she wanted to nurse -- then seemed rather miffed nothing came out (It's been a couple months)
    ~ Tiffany

Child Passenger Safety Technician
    Home/unschooling mama to my Kindergartner!
    Leila Maribelle self-weaned at 4 years old....

Wow! I'm happy to see that so many people who are ENing NIP! I am more of the activist type, and although Caden is only 13 mos. old, we have already had to fight a few fights about NIPing, beginning at age 6wks. when he was hospitalized and the ER nurses refused to come in and take his temp while he was nursing. In the area where I live, I have never seen anyone besides my son and I NIPing, but I will continue to NIP until he stops asking!

Hmm, my son is 13 months old and I pretty much don't NIP anymore except in the cry room at church. He hasn't figured out how to ask but he really only nurses about 4 times a day so unless we are gone all day there usually is no need, I can usually satisfy him some other way. Even if we are gone all day I usually find a private spot because I find it easier to nurse without distractions at this age. My oldest son probably NIP more often than that and at an older age but he was more of a comfort nurser I think.

When I went back to work, my 11-month-old daughter stayed at home with Daddy, who gave her bottles during the day. So we only nursed mornings and evenings, and that pattern became very established. After her wee brother was born, she became more interested in daytime nursing again and sometimes asked to nurse away from home, but I am uncomfortable with it and tell her we only do it at home.

I tandem nurse our 19 month DS & 7 month DD & I still nurse them in public & plan to continue to do so until they self-wean. Both our babies nurse often & it would be impossible to go anywhere w/o nursing someone, usually both, while we're out!

I don't NIP 2 1/2 yr old ds anymore. Mostly, he just stopped asking because he's more interested in everything else that is going on. I have told him a couple of times that he has to wait until we get home. If he was having a real meltdown or was injured or something, though, I would bf him. When he got closer to 2 is about when I started getting uncomfortable with NIP... I'd just rather avoid the negative reactions, I guess.