Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have an age set in your mind you wont nurse past?

Default Re: Do you have an age set in your mind you wont nurse past?

Well, I don't know. Lulu has told me she will stop at 4 and I am sort of ready. However, last night she revised that to 8. lol I don't know...

Guess I should answer my own question!

I don't have an age that I would not nurse past. Way early on with Konur I had ENers in my life so it seemed very cool and normal for me to not have a set age that he should be done by. My good friends were all nursing 2-3 year olds and talked of letting them self wean, so I thought that was a great idea! Now that he is 5, it just doesn't make sense to me to set a limit as I know it will not last much longer.

I guess I would set my limit for if he ends up at an out of state college.

Lori )O(
    Extended nursing, home birthing, unschooling, Nursing Necklace making, WAHM to Konur 3-11-01 and Mali 6-16-04
    Leave Nursing Necklaces Feedback Here

12 months was going to be my absolute minimum. Now we near 21 months and in my head I'm vaguely thinking 3 sounds about right but I am aware that when we get to 3 I have no idea what life will bring. Neither me or my dh had any experience of breastfeeding in our families before I did it (well, not for the last few decades anyway. I imagine before that it was happening!) We're seeing how it goes.

I love these thoughts:

But the way I figure it is that I have the majority of the rest of my life to have time for myself & that these very few precious breastfeeding years are "once in a life time" w/ each child & will be over way too fast & I want to cherish every moment of them.

Well, maybe puberty Seriously, when DD was born I planned on doing somewhere between 6 months and a year. The first couple of months were a massive struggle and I didn't really feel I was enjoying bf until she was about 3 months old or so. So no way was I going to wean at 6 months - plus the more I read the more I learned about how beneficial carrying on was, for both of us.
    Once we got over my return to work at 7 months, and that didn't interfere with breastfeeding (and made me value it all the more for the closeness I came back to after a day at work - important for both of us) I could just never see a good reason to stop.
    And in fact I still can't see a good reason to stop before DD (who will be 3 in June) is good and ready. I don't have a set cut-off point in my mind, I am confident that she WILL stop when she is ready to do so - in fact I can see that the weaning process is one which is going on very gradually, she nurses a lot less than she did a year ago, she sleeps mostly in her own bed, she is more and more willing to accept a cuddle or a snack instead of breastfeeding (depends of course), so I can see that she is gradually and in her own way reducing the amount that she nurses. She's nowhere near ready to stop completely though. Of course the fact that my mum nursed me until I was nearly 3 1/2 probably colours my thinking on this to a certain extent.
    Hannah xx

Initially I was going to do it for 3 months.. the 3 months I was going to be at home before returning to work. But during the first few weeks it was a struggle.. Then we went for the 2 month appointment with the pediatrician and he was so healthy and getting so big that we revised the goal to 6 months.. Then 6 months came and went.. and we are still here at almost 12 months. Gustavo turns 1 soon and now after he turns 1 I am going to stop pumping at work.. I am still having some mixed feelings about it.. so we'll keep nursing at night but not sure for how long, the pump is what I am eager to get rid of! :-)

I never really thought I would nurse much past 3 months and that mark came and went and now I really want to nurse for at least a year. Two seems ideal to me, but my family is soooo not supportive of extended nursing, and I wasn't at first either. I am still a little bothered by nursing much longer than 2 but I love it so much that I think if I make it that long I will just keep doing it! My dd doesn't really nurse for comfort though so I suspect that she will be an early weaner! Guess I am a little wishy-washy on what I want to do, huh? I would like to get pg in the next year though and if that happens I will nurse while pg and tandem nurse, if that works out for us.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Gustavo
    Gustavo turns 1 soon and now after he turns 1 I am going to stop pumping at work.. I am still having some mixed feelings about it.. so we'll keep nursing at night but not sure for how long, the pump is what I am eager to get rid of! :-)
    That sounds really familiar - I quit pumping when my DD was about 13 months. She was fine without milk when I wasn't around, but continued to nurse pretty much on demand when we were together. I work irregular hours so I did have some spells when I got a little uncomfortable at work, but my supply seems to have adjusted fine. And we are still going strong, she will be 3 in June and is an enthusiastic nurser. I was so happy to stop pumping but am still happy to continue nursing.
    Hope it works as well for you!
    Hannah xx

my son is 16 months. he is a milk monster. it is very sweet, he often giggles when on the breast..it is just too good to stay serious! anyway, i thought i would die in the begginning. i was using a nipple shield because i was so uncomfortable. now it is such a part of life. we nurse to sleep for naps and at night and, being a light sleeper, i am completley sleep deprieved. he too is a light sleeper and often we wake each other up by moving several times a night. i was thinking seriously about weaning because we are both tired but when i really was seriously thinking about it an intense sadness came over me. i know niether of us is ready. i am on the brink of a divorce, as well, and i can't imagine causing undo tauma, so making a very long answer for the question, i would really like him to self wean and i will try to make that happen.

Cool Re: Do you have an age set in your mind you wont nurse past?

I never really had an age in mind for weaning; just that I wanted to nurse for at least two years. I tandem nursed for almost a year and then when my older dd was just over three, I read her "Maggie's Weaning" just to give her the notion that weaning was something that would happen someday. I absolutely didn't expect this (I actually worried that she might get angry at the book), but she really identified with Maggie and self-weaned within a week. She wanted that book read over and over!!

My little one is 27 months now, and nursing is going strong. I think she's more attached to the mommy milk than her big sister was. I am big on child-led weaning, but I'm not sure how I would feel if she were starting Kindergarten and still nursing. I don't have a problem with it for others, but I just don't know how I'd feel. I know the relationship has to end sometime. I guess I'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

-By the way, my older dd, now 4 1/2, just asked to nurse - lol - how ironic. I expressed some milk into a cup for her, which she thoroughly enjoyed.

I never thought about it. My dd is 22 months old and still nurses for most of her nutrition. Solids actually mess her up inside... bowels mostly. Around 1 year she had an allergic reaction to food and that helped me accept that weaning would be HER decision not mine. I've also had times where I feel solid foods are of such poor quality... the genetically altered, pumped up, messed around with processing, etc. It's hard for me to give her less than food when breast milk is so natural and specific to her needs. Plus, she is very healthy. Always has been.