Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have an age set in your mind you wont nurse past?

Default Do you have an age set in your mind you wont nurse past?

What age is that and why? When did you come to that decision and what led you to it?
    Lori )O(
    Extended nursing, home birthing, unschooling, Nursing Necklace making, WAHM to Konur 3-11-01 and Mali 6-16-04
    Leave Nursing Necklaces Feedback Here

Default Re: Do you have an age set in your mind you wont nurse past?

I had no BF'ing support ... my goal was 6 months because that's what my Dr. said was the basic recommendation -- then it became 12 months (who knows why) -- then, when I passed that I figured WHY STOP? So, in the end, nope, I just let kiddo figure out when she wanted to stop
    ~ Tiffany

Child Passenger Safety Technician
    Home/unschooling mama to my Kindergartner!
    Leila Maribelle self-weaned at 4 years old....

I wanted to nurse my first son for at least 2 years, but I weaned early due to pregnancy. I weaned him at 20 months, because it was extremely painful and it was really affecting my attitude. With my second son I definitly want to nurse for at least 2 years as well and I have no plans to get pregnant right now so it will probably happen. I think for me the upper limit is 3 or 3 and a half. My 3 year old still asks to nurse occassionally and we "pretend" if he is having a bad day so nursing a child his age is not out of the question, but much older than that and I would feel like I was nursing a child, not a baby. My second son is not much of a comfort nurser so I am guessing that it won't really be an issue for us.

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I had hoped to nurse for a year... that was my ultimate goal. Then, a year came and went and we were still comfortably nursing... and then 2 years came and went and we were nursing less, but it was still a good relationship... and 3 years came and went and we were nursing to sleep... and we weaned soon after that when I became PG and it just became too painful... but it certainly went on longer than I EVER anticipated!

As to why I set that date of a year? Well, I guess I just didn't know anyone who nursed beyond that when I first had my baby. I didn't realize that you could continue nursing beyond that point, if that makes any sense. Then, I got involved with LLL and found other women who were nursing toddlers and I read the book "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" and I realized it wasn't so "odd"...

Jacqui

I never had a set amount of time with my first, just a try-and-see attitude. She ended up having a lot of latch problems and we pumped exclusively, then gave that up by 3 months because of my own health problems. This time, I'm shooting for six months, which is pretty do-able since my son latches like a pro. Anything beyond six months I'm just not sure yet. I want to TTC again and if that's not happening as soon as I'd like we may wean, or if I do get pregnant, I don't want to nurse while pregnant. Just me personally. I never considered BFing beyond a year by any means - in my mind, breastfeeding and bottles are 'baby' things. I wouldn't dream of giving my three year old a bottle, and to me, breast is very similar. I don't condemn or look down on people who choose to breastfeed beyond a year, it's just not for me and my family.

I had a lot of issues at the beginning. So, my original goal was 4 months. I rationialized by saying I could start solids so she wouldn't get as much formula. Well, by 2.5 months, all of my issues went away. I made it to 4 months, and extended my goal to 6 months. Then, my goal got extended to a year. We just hit 1 year, so I am not sure what my goal is.

I want her to self wean, but I also don't want to go that much longer. Right now, we are down to basically naps and sleep. I am not sure when we will be done completely.

Initially I thought I would be heroic to make it to the six months mark, it was so painful for the first two months. Then it all became easy, so I saw no reason to stop. Also continued right through my second pregnancy. My daughter is two now, and I don't feel particularly comfortable with our nursing any more. Maybe this has to do with baby or maybe because she is such a distinct and articulate littlem personality now, it seems like an invasion of my privacy. Anyway, I restrict her nursing to once, or at the most twice a day, but it still feels as if I am just enduring it. I will not force her to wean, but I am kind of hoping that when I go back to work it will somehow naturally fade away. I would like to keep baby going till he is two at least and then see how I feel.

I don't know when I'll wean, but I plan to move BF into the closet by the time dd can speak in full sentences

I said a year with DS and BF till he was 14 months, I worked and way back then it was harder to do when you worked. With DD we weaned at 2 yo and although it wasn't my choice at the time it was the perfect time as it worked for us.
    I never thought I would BF past 15-18 months and I remember one of my very first meetings the leader had a 23 month old and was still BF, I thought good for her, that isn't for me.. LOL how wrong I was, the great thing is that now DD, she is now 3 & remembers nursing and will nurse her babies. I hope I am planting the seed that she too will nurse her children someday.

I don't have an age set in mind. With our first baby, I wanted to make it at least a year & hoped that he would nurse for a lot longer. Our DS is now 19 months & still nurses quite often along with his 7 month old sister! We have done a lot of reading on extended breastfeeding & child-led weaning with the birth of our second child & feel that child-led weaning is what is best for our children. It's tough at times nursing two so often, plus our DD co-sleeps with us & nurses/suckles frequently during the night. (DS usually sleeps through the night in his crib, didn't know about co-sleeping when we had him. ) Yes, things go undone & except for showers , I don't have "time to myself". But the way I figure it is that I have the majority of the rest of my life to have time for myself & that these very few precious breastfeeding years are "once in a life time" w/ each child & will be over way too fast & I want to cherish every moment of them!