Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I need to sterilize each time???

Question Do I need to sterilize each time???

Hi. I just bought an Avent Isis hand pump (which is great!), and the instructions say to wash with soap and hot water AND sterilize after each use. I've previously been using the Medela Harmony, and I just wash with soap and hot water each time, only sterilizing before the first use. I don't have a sterilizer and it seems really excessive (and impractical) to boil all the pump parts for 10 minutes each time I use it. Is this really necessary, or a ploy to urge you to buy their sterilizer? Any tips on how often to sterilize?

Thanks! Annie

Default Re: Do I need to sterilize each time???

I don't sterilize pumps parts every time, and my LC said it wasn't necessary unless they got dropped on a pretty dirty floor or I/DB was sick (not necessary, but might help us get over what we have to wash things more).

If you do want to sterilize, I have used the Medela sterilizer bags in the microwave and they're very fast and easy.

I don't sterilize my pump parts every time either... I pump three times a day and wash the parts with soap/water... I usually sterilize everything once on the weekends (or every other week if I forget!) and also use the Medela microwave bags - they are great! You can also check with your pediatrician to ask if you need to sterilize after each use...

I only sterilize once a day but spray parts with chlorox's new anywhere hard surfaces spray after rinsing with hot soapy water at the other times. Medela does make wipes to use but I used the lysol kitchen disinfecting wipes because of cost and I keep a microwave sterilizer at work to use during my lunch break because it was cheaper than constantly buying those medela bags.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Thanks for those tips, I appreciate it! I guess I'll keep washing with soap and hot water after each use and sterilize once a week.

Annie

I rinse my pump parts and put them in the refridgerator. I change them out (I have two sets of pump parts) and sterilize them about every 5 days. The fridge idea I got from the Exclusively Pumping board on iVillage.com. What a time saver!!

i've got a microwave sterilizer from avent that works nicely. then you won't have to keep buying and tossing the medela bags.