Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stored in freezer door...how long will it last?

Unhappy Stored in freezer door...how long will it last?

I've just read that frozen milk shouldn't be kept in the door of the freezer because the temperature is too variable. Oops! I have about 16 bags of milk in the door, the earliest pumped in January. Does anyone know how long the milk will last under less than ideal freezing conditions? Should I toss that early milk?

Thanks! Annie

Default Re: Stored in freezer door...how long will it last?

It can be good for anywhere between 2wks-6mos, depending on the temp of the freezer, how often it's opened, etc. Here are some guidelines:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/m...e.html#storage

I wouldn't simply toss it. You can always test a small amount to see if it's sour/bad. If it's not, and if Db will drink it, it's fine. You can move the bags to the back of the freezer now to lengthen their shelf life.

Thanks Beth, that helps. I guess I didn't realize that you could judge whether the milk was good just by smelling it rather than relying on the date it was stored. It's easy to get hyped up and forget how sturdy breastmilk is, and antibiotic to boot!

Annie

Nods.

Those dates are really guidelines. Smell is a great indicator of how well the milk is holding up. If it's stored properly, you may even get more mileage than the guidelines suggest!