Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: did you PLAN to nurse past 1 year?

Default Re: did you PLAN to nurse past 1 year?

i never thought about it...i nevr thought about nursing a two or three year old either....now i look at ds and he seems like such a baby still! how can i take that away from him?? since the supernanny show i joke with dh about how i need to nurse for my own wellbeing haha
    i do find myself missing my dh though....with cosleeping and nursing all night there is really no more cuddling with him.....and i just have no sex drive at all, so surprisingly that has started being an issue in my head maybe tipping the scales toward weaning a little bit??
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

My initial goal was one year it didn't occur to me to go longer at first. But at 1 my first lo was still such a baby and still needed to nurse so we kept going. I've weaned the first 2 due to pregnancies (at 17 mo, the other at 14months); I would really like to nurse baby #3 to at least 2 (he's 18 months).

It is so convenient. Yesterday, my lo fell asleep in the van right before lunch. When he eventually woke up we went to a store and stayed too long. When we were done he was hungry! I had no provisions with me; it was a life saver to be able to nurse him. I can't imagine giving that convenience up just because he's now a baby that can walk and talk.

Laura

I'm an odd duck- I planned on nursing my children until they were done before they were born. So here I am, tandem nursing a 3YO and a newborn!

At 1st I thought 4-6months. Then after checking in here I thought "at least a year". That gave way to letting him self wean soon after and I have now determined that the correct response is "as long as it continues to wrok for both of us."
    Realizing that if may in fact be me that it doesn't always work for. The psorisis is so painful! I get really irritated with all the pinching. I have no idea if I would be able to deal w/ it during pregnancy. I want to think I will...but I won't beat myself up if I don't.
    Also...I am beginning to feel a little funny about nursing such a big boy out in public. Most of the time. As well as how horrible my breast looks. But yesterday when he fell and skinned his finger to the point of blood at the zoo I didn't hesitate. And last week when he was soo sick and had diarrhea and was puking I thought over and over "What on earth would we do if we weren't still nursing?"
    We are at 15months on Thurs. I'm glad we have it. I'm glad we do it. I don't know where the end is but will try to be as respectful as possible of his needs.

Way too lazy for formula

Hello,

What a wonderful question! I never thought I would make it this long and although I think about weaning all the time, I am not making any real movements towards weaning (except pumping less during the day at work).

When I was pregnant I never even considered formula -- I didn't even buy bottles (although I did have the few cans from those horrible formula companies banking on my failure).

I never thought I would make it after I returned to work, but I was so annoyed by their lack of support, I went out of my way to make their lives miserable (with my "right to breastfeed" sign in my classroom).

And to further help my case my (stay at home mom) sister-in-law made a condescending comment that she made it 10 months and I had to beat her for all those working mothers out there! (I guess I like a challenge and I hate being told I can't do something).

But most important, I love BF and my son loves being BF -- It has been a win-win relationship in my house and it makes me so sad to think of the day that nursing will be over!

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by Blessedbee View Post
    i do find myself missing my dh though....with cosleeping and nursing all night there is really no more cuddling with him.....and i just have no sex drive at all, so surprisingly that has started being an issue in my head maybe tipping the scales toward weaning a little bit??
    It's nice to hear I'm not the only one dealing with this. I do miss intimacy of all types with my husband. My boy has been a total bed hog lately! I am hoping that if I can get my boy to sleep through the night in his own crib, maybe that will help. wishful thinking? If he'll sleep through the night, I don't have a problem with nursing him to sleep and down for his nap. But I don't know if libido increases as nursing decreases. I love the nursing and co-sleeping for the sake of convenience, but sometimes I wonder how long my husband's patience will last. I am going to try the Dr. Jay Gordon method this summer and I pray that it will work.

Is it possible to "partial" wean? does anyone nurse during the day only?

and Aiden's mommy-hooray for redheads! Nice to know there are other mommies of reds out there!

My oldest was weaned at 10 months because I was in college and returning to school. My second weaned herself at 7 months. My third is almost 16 months and very happily still nursing. She nurses probably 8 times a day and I work full time! I thought if she made it to a year we'd be doing good. A year came and went and dh started saying "how long are you going to nurse her?" I have the support of LLL this time around and I know more! I told him that I'm not even thinking of weaning her before 18 mos now. I don't think she's ready at all....she still gets up during the night...he should be happy...he doesn't have to get up with her!!!! She's small for her age and needs all of the calories she can get...I figure this is the best way for her to get them! She eats solids and drinks cow milk also but is happiest nursing. I'm just going to play it by ear for now.

[quote=ppalagi;152366] I love the nursing and co-sleeping for the sake of convenience, but sometimes I wonder how long my husband's patience will last.

Is it possible to "partial" wean? does anyone nurse during the day only?
    quote]

me too....dh has been so good about it....(i think that might be because i told him to stop hounding me and it would pay off for him....which it hasnt lol..but at least hes making the effort!)

i know people night wean......but while cosleeping? i cant Imagine how!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

We do not cosleep, but we partially nightweaned. We picked a 5 hour stretch (9-2) and determined that I would not nurse, and dh pitched in and went to her during that stretch of time, and eventually she did get the picture. She now sleeps from 9-3 or 4 and sometimes even 5. Sometimes she still wakes between 9 and 2, but dh goes to her still and comforts her. We did pick up our nursing during the day.

As for libido, I got mine back when I got AF back, but that didn't last long, because I got pregnant and my drive is back in the dumps.

And Shelly, as for nursing inpublic, we just don't do it anymore. I nurse her here in my house, in front of anyone that is here, but I don't nurse her while we are out, unless I am putting her down for a nap, and then its in a bedroom or someplace quiet. I do nurse her in the car a lot still--but that is as much because its hard for her to focus on nursing when we are out and about. It works though, and then I don't get that weird feeling that you talk about. I feel a bit odd nursing in front of my dad, now, but its in my home, and its my business, and I know its only because this society won't allow us to believe it is normal.

I spend a lot of time on another message board and it has helped me to feel more normal, because they aren't bound by some of the same rules that LLL is...they believe that nursing until age 2 should be the recommendation, not age 1 like it is in the US by the AAP. I do agree, however, that if it isnt' working for both, beyond the age of 1, something needs to change. Like night weaning, or setting limits on nip. It is hard during pregnancy, it hurts like hell. But I look at her and I realize that even though sometimes I get that antsy feeling, its natural. It is us doing the nursing dance...sometimes I want it more and sometimes she does. And she is getting much closer to her daddy too. We are getting ready for the next phase, ya know?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

My initial goal was one year. Then it came and went. For one thing, I was under the inaccurate assumption that the AAP guideline was 1 year, not at least one year. Both my own feelings, my daughter's apparent needs, and everything I read said that continuing was the right thing to do. So I did, and here we are. It just happened naturally.
    We also have some limits, but I still nurse in public. I used to be so afraid to do it, now I have become really passionate about it because I think it is so important that society sees breastfeeding as something normal and not something that must be hidden. I want the teenage girls in the mall to see a mom nursing, and not just a newborn. I'm sure there are people who think I am a crazy LLL mommy , but (pardon me) screw 'em.
    This is something that each mom just has to decide for herself. I don't look down on moms who don't nurse in public, I never used to do it either. But I have come to believe that it is an important thing for me to do. Not everybody wants to be a lactivist, though, and that's fine.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on