Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: did you PLAN to nurse past 1 year?

Default did you PLAN to nurse past 1 year?

My boy is quickly coming up on his first birthday, the date I gave myself for trying to wean him. Originally I only planned to nurse him for 6 months, but then it was going so well that I thought "what the heck, let's go for the recommended 12 months."

Now he just loves his nursing so much, it breaks my heart to think of not nursing him. All I have to do is lay down and lift up my shirt and he's already celebrating. How can I say no?

So if you breastfed your baby past the one-year mark, did you plan to do so? or did you just get caught up in the momentum? What did you say to people who thought you should wean your baby?

I know I am going to get some flak from my family.....

Default Re: did you PLAN to nurse past 1 year?

my last two babies I did, heck maybe my last 3.. My oldest was born when I was 17 I was so young and had to go back to school when he was 4 weeks old. I didn't realy have to but I did If I had that to do over again I would have stayed home longer with him. Anyways he weaned at about 6 months slowly he just would only take the bottle.
    Fast foward 6 years and I was pg with my William, he was very high needs and nursing was the only thing that put him to sleep. It made things so easy.
    He was still high needs but I knew that I could get a good nap if I took him to bed and layed down with him.
    William nursed untill well after his 2nd birthday, but just to go to bed and nap time.
    with my phillip I got pg and it was just to painfull for me to continue to nurse him so he weaned at about 18 months old.
    My dd is going to be 4 in JUne and she is still nursing at bed time.
    IT almost always works to put her to bed.

Nope, didn't "plan" either way, I am not big on planning. I knew I woudl give it everythgin I had to stick it out a year and now Em is 19 months and some chnae and I can't imagine stopping.

For the family I always tell them that the WHO reccomends two years. And that the world wide average is around 4. That shuts them up. Or they say, "Are you still nursing?" And I say "Yup, and Emily is the only one in the house that hasn't caught the cold/bug whatever that is currently going around."
    Last edited by Kelly Ann; March 20th, 2007 at 12:00 PM.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I planned on 3 months. Then on 6 months. Then 12 months. Then 18 months. Now I am leaning toward making it as long as she wants to nurse. I haven't really told dh that, but I think he knows because he keeps saying stuff like, "Is Mommy going to have to come get you out of kindergarten for a little noontime nursie?"

And my response to family is that we started weaning when she was around 6 months old and we started solids, which is true. And I use the WHO line, and I love that she never gets sick with what we have. Dh and I had a little stomach but the past week and she escaped totally virus free! It is absolutely amazing! She has only had 1 cold, 1 ear infection, and a couple unexplained fevers that we actually believe are heriditary because my dad and I both had them too, with no other symptoms. So...I just rub that in their faces .

And I read in the LLL book "How Weaning Happens" a really good paragraph about how nursing is veiwed as something like a bad habit that won't go away unless it is put to an end. When you really look at how many kids nurse past age 5 on their own, its pretty low, and when they do, its not frequent nursing at all usually. I am just not that worried about it. I might start a little mother-led weaning when she is over 2--maybe don't offer, don't refuse. But for right now, I know its the best thing for her, and she needs the calories!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    But for right now, I know its the best thing for her, and she needs the calories!
    I add that, too. That a lot of my buddies seems to talk and worry about how much/little their toddler eats all of the time and I don't have to! It's really nice not to worry if she ate or not because I know she's getting what she needs. I like to try and tell people that most of the reason I breastfed and continue to is sheer laziness on my part! Didn't have to get out of bed if I could just whip out the boob, didn't have to heat it up. Didn't have to make dinner for the kiddo if we exclusively breastfed for 10 months.... all of this is not entirely true, but it removes the perceived martyrdom from my nursing. I think people that haven't ever done it think of it as a huge burden. And by making light of it a little they can see that it is easy for me, and I like it, and Emily obviously loves it (as evidenced by her constant mmmmm-ing) so what's the big deal?
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I figured at the 1 year mark he'd be weaned. My DS NEVER took a bottle-was spoon fed BM at daycare until he drank well from a sippy cup. He's just 1 year now and I think that if I weaned him he'd go into withdrawal.
    He enjoys nursing so much-esp. to go to sleep, and I never realized how much I'd enjoy it either. SO at this point he should be weaned before he graduates from high school LOL. I'm of the mindset to let him tell me when he's ready to wean; as long as it's going well for both of us. I will really miss it when he does eventually stop though.

Exactly Kelly! I never ever complained about nursing, even if it was driving me crazy! I hate it when women say they stopped because it was so hard (after 6 months or so, because it is hard in the beginning, so I can at elast understand that), because I can't imagine making 6 bottles a night and washing all of them! I always found it easier! And even when I didn't I pretended to, for the sake of those around me. And its partially true...it is easier. Just like I never complained about her sleeping until I was so far gone that I had to do something different, and then I made the move and we fixed it. It makes it hard for people to tell you to wean when you tell them you do it because its easier!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I planned to BF until 2. In the beginning, we had such a hard time. DD wouldn't latch properly, my supply was low (from stress, worrying about low supply, ), pedi was telling us to supplement w/formula , etc. I started supplementing just a little formula and realized it wasn't what I wanted to do, so I stopped. I figured we had to get this all worked out (we didn't have any support/help, I didn't know about LLL until a little later...). We just kept going & eventually everything worked out great (yay!). DD is 21 months now & I still don't see an end in sight ! She did start refusing the breast a couple weeks ago, but I think it was an illness thing. I couldn't imagine not nursing, it's the best thing in the world !
    Mommy to Mary Louise, born 6/28/05, Self weaned at 2 years and 2 months

Mommy to Craig Isaac, born February 16, 2008, Self weaned 3 years and 4 months
    parttime

In the beginning I thought lets see if I can do six weeks..then it was 6 months...a year....now we are at almost 13 months and I plan on BF'ing for a while yet. Maybe 2...maybe 3.....the ONLY time I will be the weaning initiator is if I get pregnant and I simply just can't do it anymore.

If anyone TRIES to give me slack I just turn the other cheek. Including any family that might not agree with it. It is simply because they don't understand. If I have learned anything over the past year, it's to ignore naysayers.......it's simply ignorance to the benefits of BF'ing.

Kudos to you no matter how far you decide to go!!!!!!!!!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

It never occurred to me to breastfeed past one year. My goal was to make it to one year, and I was so happy to make it to that point. I did not think about what would happen after the one year point. But as I now know, it's not like you can just stop one day. My daughter is 16 months now and is an avid nurser.