Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Size of hole in nipple

Default Size of hole in nipple

I have a 2 1/2 month old who receives my breast milk in a bottle while I am at work. I am still using newborn nipples on the bottle. I know that with formula fed infants, you are supposed to adjust the size of the hole in the nipple as they get older. However, I have heard that with breastfed infants, you shouldn't advance the nipple because it will become too easy to drink from the bottle compared to the breast and may contribute to early weaning. Any other information or opinions?

Default Re: Size of hole in nipple

My 10 MO still uses the Avent size 1 (for newborns) nipples. She hasn't had any problems or complaints that I've noticed. I'd find one that your baby likes and stick with it and only make a change if it seems like the baby really needs it. As they get older, they do become more efficient nursers, so for some babies, stepping up to a faster-flow nipple might not be a bad idea. I'd say just watch the baby and follow his (her?) cues.

DD is 7 months old and still using advent newborn nipples. Make sure to inspect them, I had problems with a DCP punching extra holes in the nipples to get dd to drink faster which led to her being overfed because she sucking need was being misinterpreted as hunger. We switched DCP but I still inspect the nipples at every washing and replace every 6 weeks.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Many infants stay on slow-flow bottle nipples until they wean from bottles. However, sometimes the bottle nipple holes get larger as they are used and washed, so they are actually on a faster-flow nipple, and you just don't realize it.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I had the same question about 6 weeks ago when my daughter was 2.5 mos. Here's what worked for us: we were using the avent newborn nipple (#1) - it was taking her up to 45 min to take 4 oz. I was worried about faster flow but i tried the avent #2 which is still slow flow but has 2 holes. Now she takes 6-7 oz in 15-20 min or so and seems happy and never spits up. We also tried the nipples that fit onto the medela bottles so you can feed straight from the bottles you pump into: they have one hole but the hole is much larger and the flow is faster than the avent #2 - apparently DD was having more gas with the medela nipple and the flow was too fast. My nanny thought DD did better with the avent #2 so thats what we are using now at 4mos and it is going well.

Thought I'd add on to an existing thread rather than starting a new one ...

My DS is 4 mo old and we've been using the 4 oz Avent bottles with the "newborn flow" nipples since he was 4 weeks old. After a bumpy start, he's been doing great at day care with taking a bottle and has recently started eating 3.5 to 4 oz at a time. When my DH gives him a bottle at home he can suck down those 3.5 to 4 oz in about 5 to 10 min. We've never tried more than 4 oz, so I don't know if he's capable of or interested in eating more. I've been thinking about buying the 9 oz Avent bottles, but they all seem to come with the "slow flow" nipples and I'm a little grumpy thinking about needing to also buy a bunch of "newborn flow" nipples to replace the ones that come with the 9 oz bottles.

So - what I'm trying to figure out is:
    (a) whether or not I should try larger bottles or stick with the 4 oz ones and day care can do refills with more breast milk if DS is still hungry, and
    (b) if we should stick to the "newborn flow" nipples or try the "slow flow" ones?

Thanks!
    Lynn
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I thought that the nipples only came in slow and fast flow? My little guy is 10 months old and he's still happy with the slow flow nipples.

As far as making the bottles bigger, is your baby going longer stretches between feedings? I don't think his milk intake should necessarily be increasing at this point. See this link for more info:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Avent has several different different nipple options:

http://www.aventamerica.com/pdf/pdf/...chart_rev5.pdf
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

We acutually switched to a stage 2 nipple around 6 months. After about a month of using those, we had a very bad, and very long nursing strike. Once we switched back to stage one nipples it took about two days and the strike was off.

One of the teachers at daycare has asked me about using a larger nipple, but I am very worried about ds going on a strike of I do it. How can I tell if this is going to happen or not? I have one stage 2 nipple I could try, but I don't think trying one is going to tell me if switching all together is going to be bad or not. We've never had problems with nipple confussion, but sometimes if my breasts are not really full at night (for the last feeding before bed) he cries until I give him at least 2 oz from a bottle before he feels full enough to sleep through the night, which is the biggest reason I am afraid he'll prefer the bottle over me if I go up in nipple size. Any suggestions?