Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need help- fussiness during feeding

Question need help- fussiness during feeding

Hi all
    My dd is 6wks and 4ds old (bw 5lbs 14 oz cw 9lbs 8oz). She recently started crying (as though she was in pain) about5-8 minutes into the feeding. I am afraid that she will associate hurt with bf. When she cries I burp her and most of the time she will burp and other times she will continue crying. When I attempt to latch her back on, it's as though she is angry at my breast or she holds it in her mouth and pushes in. Today, at the last feeding, she nursed for 3-5 min and then was done. Prior to that she would continue trying to nurse, crying, or being fussy and she would spit up a couple of times during the feedings. This went on for 2 hours Sunday night. I took her to the dr. today and dr said she was fine (as she has gained 1lbs 4oz) in 2 weeks. I was wondering if it's possible that she is eating too fast and getting too gassy or if it is possible to overfeed her thereby causing discomfort and gas? Also how do I contact someone near where I live?
    Thank you!

Default Re: need help- fussiness during feeding

http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebUS.html
    pick your state and then your town I hope you can find a group in your area. get some local support. lots of things could be going on, since your baby is growing well that's a good sign.
    get in touch with your local leader she can help you, its hard to do with out seeing the baby.

My dd is 6 wo too, and she does the same thing but it's typically only at one feeding (her 7-8 pm feeding). Otherwise she's fine. But that one feeding is NOT fun ! She will cry, push at my breast while arching her back, eat for about 3-5 minutes and start the cycle over. I burb her frequently and try to get her to settle down before relatching. I'm wondering if this is just her fussy time, or if there is more going on. So, I'm also looking for some suggestions!

I took her to the dr yesterday. dr said everything was fine and that it is probably that she is eating too fast and getting gassy. last night i tried the football hold and she did a bit better (less pulling away and less crying). I feel like I have more control that way. If that makes sense.
    Sophiasmommy: have you tried the football hold?