Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my supply drying up??

Default Is my supply drying up??

I had been having some supply issues the past 2 or so months (when I got my period back)then started taking herbal supplements and it seemed to help. Now about 2 weeks ago we started having issues with him not really wanting to nurse during the day. I started giving him one 4oz bottle of formula a day then all of a sudden last week I had to start giving him 2 4oz bottles a day. It's so frustrating. I havn't been able to pump in a long time so I don't even have one anymore, I brought it back to the hospital over a month ago now. The thing is he latches on, gets the 1st let down on one side then doesn't want anymore. But he will take the bottle so I know he is hungry. He is teething with his top teeth, one already came in 2 wks ago and the one next to it just cut through the past day or so and I just got my period. I know there is a dip in supply a few days before and during your cylcle. At night he seems to nurse ok, although sometimes lately he's been falling asleep fast and only nurses on one side, when I put him to the other side he basically is just using me as a pacifier not for milk. What I am concerned most about is when he only latches on for a few minutes and stops, and only on one side, isn't my body thinking I am weaning him??? I know I told myself a while ago not to get upset over the formula but it is hard. I really wanted to bfeed for a year and now I am so not sure if that's going to happen and it makes me really sad. BFDG for 8 months is good, and while pregnant I thought I would only 'want' to for 3 months!! Now I am begging for a year!!

Default Re: Is my supply drying up??

Hi there,
    You have done so well making it 8 months! Good for you!

Is there anyway you could hunker down at home for the next several days and just nurse, nurse, nurse? Many moms have done this and find that it is very helpful in increasing supply.

You could slowly cut back the amount of formula supplement that ds receives until it is down to none. You should just watch for signs that he is still getting enough to eat: diaper output.

But, it is possible to get back to exclusive nursing. It may take several days, but with increased nursing you should be able to do it.

Since you don't have the pump anymore, you could also try hand-expression in between feedings.

http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

You are right, in that the less milk he takes out the less your body makes. So it is getting the message to slow down production. But he is still nursing a fair amount, so it shouldn't be difficult to change that message.

Another suggestion is to encourage the night nursing. You mentioned him nursing on one side, but not much on the second. Would it be possible for you to allow him to nurse as long as he wants on the second side? This would be very helpful for production! If you could also sleep-share and encourage him to nurse throughout the night that would help as well.

Keep us posted. You can do it!

when you give him the formula, are you pumping at all? It is important to stimulate the breasts to keep your supply up.

Hi, thank you for your response! The past couple days seem to be a little better. I do think it has alot to do with his teething because his appetite for solids has not been as good either, and also my period is at the end so I know your supply should level back to normal after the 1st few days of your cycle. At night each time he wakes up I nurse him. I do offer both sides day and night it's just that (mainly during the day) he will nurse on the right and when i put him on the left he only stays on a minute or so. At night when he is sleeping he will nurse on both sides. Today I only had to give him one 4oz bottle of formula. I've never tried hand expression, I could give it a try. As far as sleep-sharing, we did that for 5 1/2mos when I couldn't take my husband complaining so much because he is the one who gets home at 3am from work and has to wake up in the morning to go back to work. DS was starting to get really restless and would wake frequently so that's when we decided to put him in his crib, I slept on the floor next to his crib the first couple weeks but he did transition well and when I do try to bring him into bed with me while my husband is at work he wakes right up, looks around & smiles & wants to play & won't go back to sleep!! When he isn't in pain from teething he goes to bed at 8, we nurse, then he wakes at 1am, we nurse, then he may wake again at 3 or 4 & we'll nurse, or he'll sleep to 6am & we nurse, then he goes back to sleep until 8am & we nurse again. But usually once he wakes up he is distracted & wants to play & just 'snacks'. In a 24hr period we nurse about 6-8times.

Glad to hear that things seem better the past few days. Keep us posted!

At last, I'm not alone... My baby's 9 months...I just introduced formula this week because he is consuming more than i can pump from work. I get more stressed trying to meet the amount he has consumed for the day! I didn't know that the supply is affected by the onset of my period. If that's the case, is there anything you can do to maintain supply?

I do want to go back breastfeeding exclusively, how do i do that? Will it affect his nutritional demands?

Well the past few days I have only had to give him one 4oz bottle, he either drinks it all, or only 2oz. But as of yesterday & once so far today after he nurses his breath smells like onions. this has happened before as well. And he is only staying on for the 1st letdown and taking maybe a few sips on the other side once I switch him to try to encourage him to eat/drink more. But at night he so far has been nursing well but that's because he's pretty sleepy. What is up???? Distraction, or does he not like the taste? Now he is constipated today also. I do kind of think one reason he doesn't like to nurse on my left during the day is because he may relate that to going to sleep because when he is ready for a nap or bed that's the side he will fall asleep on. Who knows????????????????