Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: night vs. day pumping amounts

Default night vs. day pumping amounts

I have recently been pumping 3-4 oz. when I wake up in the middle of the night. During the day....1.5-2oz max only....

I'm trying to figure out why I pump so much less during the day. The 1.5-2 oz is also with super breast compressions in a 20-25 min. session. Its taking too long and too much to get too little if you know what I mean.

So why such a difference? I'm taking domperidone so it can't be a prolactin issue. I'm stumped....

Default Re: night vs. day pumping amounts

Hello,

You're prolactin levels are actually higher at night. I guess this is one way my reverse cycler gets his fill at night. During my first pumping session of the day (9:00ish) I pump double the amount I pump in the afternoon (1:30ish).

Here's a link from KellyMom about prolactin levels:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/prolactin-levels.html

It states "Prolactin levels follow a circadian rhythm: levels during the night (sleep) are higher than during the day."

HTH

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

Yup! It's true.

Many working moms find that their babies switch to nursing quite a bit at night while they snuggle in bed with mom. This increases moms prolactin level, keeps her supply up, and reduces baby's dependence on pumped milk.

Pretty Cool, huh?

Tiana

I would have thought that someone taking domperidone is exempt from the day/night prolactin flux.

Its supposed to increase prolactin levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbie View Post
    I would have thought that someone taking domperidone is exempt from the day/night prolactin flux.

Its supposed to increase prolactin levels.
    Not necessarily, although I do see how one could draw that conclusion. I've never heard that idea before, actually. I'll look it up and let you know if I find anything.

Tiana