Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ice Cube Trays

Default Ice Cube Trays

Hello all!
    I have seen that some moms are freezing their EBM in ice cube trays then storing the cubes in freezer bags in the freezer. It sounds extremely convenient but is it a good idea? ~Laurie

Default Re: Ice Cube Trays

I can't say for sure, but I would really look at how well you can keep the trays and the milk as sterile as possible.

I personally would feel most comfortable with following the LLLI guidelines for storing human milk found here: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

I've also been storing the milk I've been pumping...I first freeze it in a regular ice cube tray, then I put the cubes in a regular zip lock bag and date it. Then the zip lock bags go in a large freezer bag. I'm not using any special bags, just regular ones from the store and I didn't do anything special with them (e.g., sterilize) before using them. This is sort of what was asked before, but is there any reason why this would be bad for the breast milk? I figured that by double bagging everything should be protected fairly well from freezer burn, dirt/food particles in the freezer, etc.

I did not sterilize the ice cube tray first, but I did wash it thoroughly in hot soapy water. I also wash it out each time I fill it again.

I have quite a stash in the freezer and would hate to dump it. But I also don't want to give my baby this milk if there's a chance it isn't safe.

For the pp i wonder if that is a good idea, because the bags were not meant to store human milk. Also, plastic leaches. Chemicals and bottles made specifically for bm are supposed to be more safe and not leach into the milk. From Johns hopkins: " 1. no plastic containers in microwave. 2. no water bottles in freezer... Dioxin chemicals cause cancer, especially breast cancer.... don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them, as this releases dioxins from the plastic." plastic bags are also made to be disposable, and are not made very strong. so I would say try to be safe and only use things that were meant for bm.

I use ice cube trays and make 'boob cubes' for when DD needs just another ounce or two. I do, however, make sure they aren't in the trays for longer than they need to be (overnight) as to reduce the chances of contamination.

The type of plastic used to make BM bags and the Ziploc freezer bags is identical (low density polyethylene, or LDPE). The chemicals that leach into milk from the each of these types of bags, therefore, are the same. Plastics are bad because of leaching, but have unfortunately become nearly essential and at the very least hard to avoid.