Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk supply after starting solids

Exclamation milk supply after starting solids

My son is 7 1/2 months old and he is eating solids twice a day...he will eat 4 oz at each meal (probably more if I let him) of ONE of the following; sweet potato,yogurt,peas,banana,avocado.
    Since he has been eating two meals a days (one week now) I feel like my milk supply has dropped LOTS...He sleeps from about 10 pm until 3 am..usually when he wakes at 3 am my breasts are fairly firm/full..but they are now soft since starting the two meals a day.
    I only started two meals a day everyday because my ped reccomended it because of his low weight ??(15 lb 9 oz @ 7 months)...
    Any how I cant slow down the solids now...ds gets super mad if he doesn't get food when he sees me and dh eating...he loves food..and he stays in a much better mood for longer after eating solids...
    I nurse him before solids, I nurse on demand, I nurse when I need a break, I nurse when we are enjoying coffee at starbucks, I used to nurse while I ate dinner, I nurse him to bed and frequently in the morning hours because we co-sleep....now as long as I don't give him to many solids and he nurses as often as I just stated and I eat and drink healthy, then there is no reason for my supply to go lower than what he needs correct??
    Could you please share with me how starting solids effected your nursing relationship?

Default Re: milk supply after starting solids

I'm in the same boat as you, only add in that I work full-time outside of the home. I don't have much advice just wanted to let you know you're not alone. My son is the same age and he seems to be wanting to drop is 9:00 AM nurse/bottle. This weekend he completely snubbed me both days in the morning and didn't nurse until 2:00 PM. I was so engorged that I had to pump both days. At daycare he barely takes 2 oz. from his 9:00 bottle too.

My son has fully embraced solids as it sounds like yours has. If we are eating he throws a fit if he doesn't get something too. I was really surprised since he disliked the cereals for the most part. Fruits and veg, he's a bottomless pit! I often find myself holding back the amount I give him b/c I know he'll take more and I don't want it to affect how often he nurses.

I'm hoping other mommies will chime in on their experiences, it's so confusing what's 'normal'.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

lol...my son hates cereal also...he looks at me like i gave him a pickle or something...the doc said the iron in the cereal is important though, so I found YO BABY YOGURT WITH CEREAL AND FRUIT ...he loves it..
    Last edited by ee_lime; March 19th, 2007 at 10:36 AM.

I don't know the answer, but am going through the same thing . . .DD is 7.5 months and LOVES her solids, but she is also still taking a lot of milk at daycare and I am having trouble lately keeping up . . . .I don't know if its a production problem or a pumping problem . . .or if Daycare is over feeding!!
    On days at home she nurses 5-6 times per day and always before her solids and seems happy enough, I just know I am pumping a lot less than I used to, so I don't know if she is taking less at each nursing.

With both of my sons, I didn't notice any difference in our nursing relationship for a couple of months after starting solids. Both times we started solids very close to 6 mos.

With us, I've always nursed first, fairly close to when we're going to have a meal (within an hour...usually much less than that), and my boys have both been the types to nurse every 2 hours up until like 7 mos. or so, and then slowly go to 2.5 hours or 3 hours for several months more, and then slowly go a bit longer than that....plus, they've both been night nursers until after a year old.

A couple of months after starting solids, my boys did start to space out feedings a bit longer than before, but I didn't notice a drastic reduction in supply...I just looked at it that they were self regulating, and that if I ALWAYS nursed first, that they would get the right amount of breastmilk that they needed.

That being said, more solids at such a young age doesn't generally cause increases in weight gain, as BM has more calories per ounce than almost any single solid food, so if BM IS being replaced by solids before baby is eating a wide enough variety and quantity of solids (usually after 1 year), you could actually expect weight loss...or at least not weight gain.

I can also say that 4 oz. of solids twice a day is ALOT of food. That's like a 1/2cup. Alot of kids, mine included, only ever ate a few tablespoons of solids at meals until they were much older. All kids are different though, some are big eaters and some aren't.

I also wonder why your doc. was concerned about that weight with your baby? Was he going down on the charts? My youngest DS was exactly 15lbs9oz. at his 6 mo. appointment, I think his doc. said that was the 25th% for height and weight. She wasn't concerned at all, as she said he was a consistent 25th% every time, and that he was very proportional, and obviously thriving and meeting all milestones (early actually). My Ped. said he is "compact".

So, I guess, I'd consider whether or not your son was actually falling on the charts, or was consistently just smaller, as you really can't change heredity and bone structure. I think sometimes people also expect babies to be FAT...you know, with rolls of fat, and breastfed babies are generally not THAT fat. My DS#2 has plenty of baby fat, and nice rounded little cheeks, but is far less than FAT IMO...he's preportional, and very healthy looking.

yeah he fell from 50th percentile to 10th for weight....but the new growth charts are still not correct for exclusivly breastfed babies/WHO said this themselves..that if you are charting ebf baby that you have to take into account that bf babies don't gain as fast as ff babies 6-12 months...the new charts are proportionate (did i spell that right?) to the breast vs formula in the general population..so how many people are still bf after 6 months???not a whole lot...something to think about...I WILL COME BACK AND POST A LINK

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/major/...hchartFAQs.htm
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...wthcharts.html

With that said..I know that solids will not make him gain weight...but it just happened that we tried some solids per the ped advice and he loves them and there is no turning around now..

ps....my MIL said that DH would not keep weight on as a child, she fed him chocolate to put weight on him??
    Last edited by ee_lime; March 19th, 2007 at 11:07 AM.

What's your gut feeling? Do you really think he needs to put on weight, or do you really feel that he's just fine and healthy and meeting all his milestones?

A doctor can only look at the numbers, and an occasional visit, they don't see how active your LO is, whether or not they're standing up, cruising around furniture, and crawling. The don't see the ins and outs of every day, and change every diaper, so I guess I'd really take a look at that and think about that too.

As far as the solids go, I'd be tempted to BF closer to when meals are...maybe within a half hour of solids even, and not worry about it from then on out, if you are convinced your son is healthy and meeting milestones.
    If you're spoon feeding, just pay close attention to when your baby is "satisfied" with the solids...when he starts going a longer time between bites, or starts to play with things on his tray...that kind of thing, then slow down, and look for him to be done with eating. If you're doing baby led solids, then it would be easier, as they'd be feeding themselves, and you'd have less control over how much went in their mouths.

You might also try giving baby some jarred food, and then slowing down and giving him some finger food on his tray to eat by himself as well...he might self regulate better if he's in control of some of his meal, IYKWIM?

Yes he is very healthy, he has never been sick, he is strong, looks good, and meeting milestones...he is crawling to me from the other side of the room as I type...he crawls to fast..