Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: More Questions!

Default More Questions!

I have two questions~
    My first is sometimes at night my little girl (twelve days old) will go up to 4 and a half hours between feedings. Is this okay? She usually cluster feeds from about 5 - 9 at night and then is less frequent in the middle of the night.

My second is I have to pump milk and give her a bottle at about 3 weeks of age. I am afraid of nipple confusion and afraid that she might not respond to well to the bottle. How do I go about doing this the proper way?

Thanks!

Default Re: More Questions!

I don't know that I can help with the bottle feeding question, hopefully someone else can, but the night time sleeping I think is pretty normal.

These little babies tank up with cluster feeding at night to get a little bit longer sleep at night. Definitely enjoy it!! Took my guy 4 weeks before he was sleeping more than 2-3 hours at night. The cluster feeds can be exhausting, but when you know you have a good solid 4 -5 hours of sleep coming up, it sure seems all worth it!

My ds would cluster feed to at night I sat back and enjoyed just holding him and getting in some tv time. Then when he was all down for the night he was down a good 5 hrs. So it's perfectly normal for babies.

I'm not to sure what to say about giving dd a bottle. I did give my ds one but it was just one feeding and all went well for no nipple confusion. So good luck to you.

When my dtr was first born we did breastfeeding and bottle(formula). She got nipple confusion. So at 1 week old, I stopped the bottle and only breastfed.

Then at 3 weeks I reintroduced the bottle (on occasion) and she is great at switching back and forth. My dr told me 3 weeks is a good time to introduce the bottle. And i have heard if you don't introduce it by the end of the 4th week, the baby might not take to it. b/c baby might prefer only the breat by that time.

Remember to have someone else give your baby the bottle(at least for the first few times). I bet she'll do good.
    Good Luck =)