Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pain with pumping for 10 MO

Default Pain with pumping for 10 MO

I thought maybe I was finally going to get my period, because I started having extremely sore nipples when feeding. However, DD was sick last week & I didn't work from Tuesday-today. So, I obviously didn't pump for nearly a week. And I was feeling fine, no soreness or anything. Then as soon as I pumped today the same thing happened--soreness and even bruising! I'm using the same Medela Pump in Style that I've had since she was about 4 MOs and am pumping on the same schedule. Nothing else seems to have changed, the pump seems to be functioning fine. I just bought new little "flippers" that go in the bottom of the "horns" to see if they've gone bad and are causing it to not work right, but that didn't seem to help.

Has anyone else experienced this? As long as I don't pump, I feel fine. But as soon as I start pumping, it's so painful, I can hardly stand the idea of nursing her either.

My plan is to phase out pumping at 1 year, so I'd hate to invest in a new pump with only 2 months to go.

Anybody else have this experience or any ideas???

Default Re: Pain with pumping for 10 MO

Have you tried a larger shield? I experienced something similar. Once switching to larger shields the pain went away. Another idea - is the suction on your pump turned up higher than normal? Maybe a combination of both could be causing your problem. Good luck!

Default Re: Pain with pumping for 10 MO

I hadn't thought about the size of the shield...I'll give that a try. The suction is set to where it normally is, and if I turn it down any, I get hardly any milk.

I'll hit the store tomorrow and try the bigger shields!