Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Foremilk Only...?

Default Pumping Foremilk Only...?

I am using block feeding to deal with an issue of overabundant supply. Prior to each feeding I pump from each breast: from the feeding breast in order to drain some foremilk prior to the feeding, and just enough from the unused breast in order to relieve discomfort. Is this milk usable? I've read a great deal about the gradual shift from foremilk to hindmilk, but it seems to me that the milk I pump must be comprised almost entirely of foremilk. Does this mean that I should not use it for bottle feedings? Any advice is much appreciated!

Default Re: Pumping Foremilk Only...?

The millk would be usable, certainly, but it might be mostly foremilk. To see, put it in the fridge until it separates, and you can see how much fat is on top. Mine varies a lot from a small skim of fat to sometimes 1/3 fat. Then you can judge whether you want to keep it (if you think there's enought fat/hindmilk) or if it's too skim and you'd rather dump it.

Question Re: Pumping Foremilk Only...?

Thanks for the help. I checked the last bottle I pumped. It has a total of 4 oz., but only a very thin layer of thick cream. The fatty cream is less than 1/4 oz.! I have no experience with this, but to me that doesn't seem like enough.

It's my understanding that my DD's painful digestion is due to the imbalance of foremilk that she's been recieving...due to my overabundant supply of milk. Wouldn't a bottle like this, then, continue to cause her to recieve too much foremilk?

Is there a rule of thumb that anyone uses in determining whether a bottle contains an appropriate amount of hindmilk? I certainly don't want to be providing bottles that will just exacerbate the problem...but we all know how precious that pumped milk is...and the idea of wasting it is also painful...

You know, I exclusively pump and pump about 6 oz. per pumping session. I usually have a very, very thin layer of fat followed by a thick layer of opaque milk, and a thin layer at the bottom of more translucent, bluish milk. My son is thriving, so I'm not sure that 1/4 oz isn't enough hind milk, although I don't know for sure. Maybe others can chime in on how much fat they see in their milk.

I usually have a very, very thin layer of fat followed by a thick layer of opaque milk, and a thin layer at the bottom of more translucent, bluish milk
    Ditto! We pump exclusively too.

Quote Originally Posted by theclarkfamily
    Is there a rule of thumb that anyone uses in determining whether a bottle contains an appropriate amount of hindmilk?
    I don't know if there's a rule of thumb - I doubt it because the need for foremilk/hindmilk changes with age of baby, temperature (more hydration in warm months), etc., so the amount of hindmilk your baby needs is very individual.

I do remember instructions in "Nursing Mother, Working Mother" for making a double cream bottle - basically, you pump two bottles and pour the cream off of both into one bottle (you'll get some of the skim milk too). Then you could save the rest of the skim milk for later, or, in your case, I guess you'd want to dump it if you're worried about fm/hm imbalance. Maybe you could try that for a few bottles and see if it helps?