Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Child-led weaning and cow's milk question...

Question Child-led weaning and cow's milk question...

My LO who will be 12 months on thursday seems to be weaning more and more these days, yesterday and today she only nursed 2 or 3 times throughout the whole day, I offer much more than that but she doesn't seem interested, it may or may not be a phase which she will pass.
    Currently her only liquid intake is Mommy's milk and water, I wasn't keen on her having juice or animal milk untill she is at least 2.

My question is this: When are they not nursing enough? At what point should I be offering her other milk to ensure she gets her nutritional requirements?

Default Re: Child-led weaning and cow's milk question...

Hi Kaylee's Mom,
    Is your little one busier and busier these days? Developing lots of new motor skills? Sometimes during this busy time of life 1yr olds can barely sit still to nurse, but if you keep offering then they will often get through this phase and pick up nursing frequency later on.
    There are other ways to get calcium. What other foods does she eat?
    Here's a quote from this LLL article, Raising a Vegetarian Child.
    "Luckily for those who cannot or choose not to consume dairy, there are plenty of other sources of calcium. These include tofu, dark green leafy vegetables, bok choy, broccoli, beans, figs, sunflower seeds, tahini (sesame seed paste), almond butter, calcium and vitamin fortified soy, nut and rice milks, fortified juices and even fortified breakfast cereals."

Mary

Default Re: Child-led weaning and cow's milk question...

Thanks for the link! She is very busy and learning many new things, and I do get the feeling that she'll pick up more later.

I found the information very useful and it calmed my nerves a bit

Thanks!