Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I just can't pump!

Question I just can't pump!

OK, my boys have already more than doubled their birth weight so I'm guessing that they're getting plenty of milk from me. They're beginning to sleep thru the night too. I am exclusively nursing and not pumping. During the day they will still nurse about every 1-2 1/2 hours. They're also teething which is why they want to nurse more often.

My problem is, when I try to pump, I can barely get 2 ounces out of each breast, even after 20+ mins of pumping! I just KNOW that they drink more than that! So I give them 4 oz of formula when the pumping doesn't go well. Then an hour later they will want to nurse again, and nurse plenty of milk from me. I think that they really don't feel "full" unless they bf.

I don't give them formula daily, just every couple of days when my mom will watch them so I can run errands. And it's only because the pumping doesn't go well. Why can't I pump? And how can I change this? I really need to change this, I'm going to melt from cabin fever!

Default Re: I just can't pump!

Three months already? Congrats!

What type of pump do you have?

Have you tried hand expression? Some mothers find they yeild more milk this way, most notably because it feels more "natural". Here's a link to the Marmet technique. You might also benefit from using the tips for assisting MER found on this page. They work well for both hand expression and pumping. http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

Could you get your mother to go with you to get out of the house so you could take the babies with you? Two sets of hands are better than one! If you went to the mall or the park or somewhere like that, I'd bet you'd be able to find a comfy location to nurse your babies when they need it.

Hot packs, massage, and RELAXING helped me. I had my dh take the baby upstairs and I would read or watch tv. And try NOT to watch the bottles fill up (or not fill up). Also, I have a Medela pump-in-style advanced. it has a let-down mode that sucks lightly and quickly to simulate the baby getting a let-down, then it switches to longer and deeper after 2 minutes. It helped my let down. Or it could be in my head. You might be able to simulate this if you can adjust the speed and strength of the sucking on the pump. Do light and fast for a minute or two. Then when you feel let down, switch to longer and stronger.
    PS- WOW I am impressed that you are nursing twins!! One is hard enough for me! Congratulations!!

Smile Re: I just can't pump!

Funny, reading this post after all of these months!

I never could pump. I did my own research on this, and found out that some women just can't pump because it's just not "natural" to them. I tried a few pumps, even the expensive Medela, but it never felt like my twins do. I just stopped pumping altogether and breastfeed my boys everywhere I go! No messy bottles to clean up anyways.

Hand expressing has worked for me. Try that. When I first pumped I only got 1 table spoon.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

When do you pump? I always get the most by pumping before or after their first morning nursing, can't get much the rest of the day if I'm EBF that day.