Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rice Milk

Default Rice Milk

Does anyone feed their LO rice milk? My ds is almost 1 yrs old and dr gave ok to offer milk. I'm really concerned about giving him cow's milk as it seems to cause him lots of gas. I noticed this when I had dairy in my diet and every time I cheated he would become very gassy. I thought about soy milk as an option as well.

So my questions are:

If you do use rice milk, how much should he get in 24 hrs?
    What are your opinions on cow vs. soy vs. rice milks?

I do know that he doesn't really need any of it if he's getting a well-balanced diet, but he wants some kind of milk in his bottle. He's not a big juice drinker or water.

I should also mentioned I've weaned him during the day, but he still nurses at bedtime and during the night.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Rice Milk

My DD was getting rice milk after a year old due to she is allergic to dairy and soy, then we found out she was allergic to wheat/gluten and eggs and rice milk (Rice Dream) contains gluten in it, so we switched to almond milk (no nut allergies here).

If you get the Rice Milk that is fortified with calcium, then it is the same (I believe, it's been a little while since I compared lables) as cows milk for calcium. The down side to rice milk is that is has a chalky aftertaste that my DD & I didn't like (no matter what flavor we tried) and she & I actually prefered water. Discuss it with you pedi and then make your decision.

Default Re: Rice Milk

I just wanted to add if baby is nursing at least 3-4 times a day there is no need to add extra cows milk.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

from that link
    Many nursing moms are told that they must introduce cow's milk at a year. Your nursing toddler is already getting the best milk he can get - mother's milk! Breastmilk has a higher fat content than whole cow's milk (needed for baby's brain growth), and all the nutrients of human milk are significantly more bioavailable than those of cow's milk because it is species specific (not to mention all the components of mother's milk that are not present in cow's milk).

There is no need for additional milk or (or the equivalent nutrients from other foods) as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day. Cow's milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need.

Good non-dairy sources of protein include meats, fish, peas & beans (chick peas, lentils, baked beans, etc.), tofu and other soy products, boiled eggs, peanut and other nut butters (if your child is not allergic).
    Good non-dairy sources of fats include soy and safflower oils, flax seed and flax seed oil, walnuts, fish and fish oils, avocado. Adding fats to cooking and baking can work well, for example, stir fry in safflower oil or make mini-muffins with soy or rice milk, oil or butter, and eggs.
    Calcium may be derived from many nondairy sources.
    Vitamin D can be supplied by sunlight exposure and food sources.
    If your child is not nursing regularly and is not allergic to cow's milk products, but simply doesn't like cow's milk, you can incorporate milk into your child's diet in other ways. Many children like cheese, whole-fat yogurt or ice cream. You can also put milk into various food products: pancakes, waffles, muffins, French toast, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, and baked goods.
    Some moms wish to offer cow's milk to their toddler, but baby doesn't like it. Over the age of 12 months, milk becomes a more minor part of a child's diet. It is sometimes helpful to mix increasing amounts of cow's milk with your expressed milk to help baby get used to the taste. Many dietitians see nothing wrong with adding some flavor (such as strawberry or chocolate) to cow's milk.
    Pediatricians now recommend that any cow's milk be whole milk from a cup after the first year and until the child is at least 2 years of age. This ensures that your child receives enough fat, which is essential to proper brain development. After the age of two, if growth is good, you can switch to low-fat or nonfat milk. Note: If your child is nursing, then remember that mom's milk is "whole" milk - the more breastmilk your child gets, the less need to worry about your child getting additional fat from whole milk or other sources.

It's best to limit the amount of cow's milk that your child receives to 2-3 cups (16-24 ounces) per day, since too much cow's milk in a child's diet can put him at risk for iron-deficiency anemia (because milk can interfere with the absorption of iron) and may decrease the child's desire for other foods.