Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about Mastitis

Default Re: Questions about Mastitis

Hi, Those are the worst
    For my 1st child I would pump often when I needed to leave a bottle. For my second I used formula when I left and pumped rarely, although still nursed for all his 'meals" I was there for.
    I got 0 Breast Infections with my 1st and 2 with my second. I don't know how long I felt bad for but certainly the better part of a week. I don't know how often you can pump at work but try and pump and nurse a lot.-and drink water!
    One thing I can say is I noticed I was less often engorged in general after my son got bigger and was able to drink all the milk I was producing!
    My right breast had a benign lump since my first pregnancy and I went to a super specailist and she tested a sample of it, well she said it was literally a clogged milk duct but not to worry about it, when I'm done nursing one day my body will absorbe it on its own.
    A note of interest is this is the side I get my infections on.
    However, I've been nursing my son 2 1/2 years and he's happy to take either one I offer!
    Hang in there, it gets easier.
    Best Regards,

Hi Amy00,
    This link talks a bit more about sore breasts, plugged ducts, & breast infections with options for treatments.
    What sort of symptoms are you experiencing?

Mary

Since my old thread has been bumped up, I thought I'd follow-up. A friend of mine shared an article from Mothering magazine about reoccuring plugged ducts and mastisis. One of the factors listed was iron deficiency.

I have struggled with iron deficiency since I was pregnant. I have been diligent about taking iron suppliments, and haven't had a plugged duct in 2 months

Mary for the past two days I have had a tender spot on my breast. It kind of feels like a bruise but there is not red spot. Yesterday it was throbing throughout the day. Ive had mastitis once before so im just worried this is the begining of it.

Hi Amy00,
    A tender spot or lump that is not accompanied by a fever is usually a plugged duct.
    Plugged ducts usually come on gradually, may shift in location, the mother may feel little or no warmth in the area, the pain is mild and localized, the mother feels generally well, and her temperature is lower than 101F.
    Breast infections usually come on suddenly, are localized, the breast can be red, hot and swollen, the pain is intense but localized, the mother can have flu-like symptoms and her temperature is 101F or higher.
    Treatment consists of heat, gentle massage, frequent breastfeeding, and rest.
    Could you try any of these things?
    Wet or dry heat and massaging the area while it is warm, using palm and fingers in a firm but gentle circular motion.
    Nursing the baby or expressing milk after treating with warmth and massage. This will help get the milk to flow while warm and can help unplug the affected duct.
    Nurse or express frequently on the affected side, even through the night.
    Loosen constrictive clothing if needed, such as wearing a larger or different-style bra (or none at all).
    Make sure baby is well-positioned with a comfortable latch.
    Vary nursing positions. Some mothers even find that using a position that points baby's nose or chin toward the affected area can help.
    Rest. Could you take a couple of days and slow down? Maybe even take baby to bed with you?
    I hope you feel better soon. Let me know if this helps, OK?

Mary