Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Mastitis

Default Questions about Mastitis

I came down with mastitis for the first time last week. I'm on antibotics and have two days left. How long does it take to feel back to normal? I'm still feeling a bit tired and the bad breast is still sore.

I'm also wondering if I will be able to get my milk supply back in the infected breast. I had to work/pump last week and could only get 10 ml of milk from it

Default Re: Questions about Mastitis

Hi Jennifer,
    Can you tell me more about your situation and treatment so far? What comfort measures you have been trying? How many days was your treatment for? Did you feel better, then feel bad again? Are the lumps hard? Painful to the touch? Do you have any visable blockages on the nipple?
    It's a lot of questions, I know. I hope you feel better soon.
    Mary

On Wednesday morning I noticed a plugged duct. At work, I pumped in the AM, nursed at lunch, and pumped in the PM (got no milk out this time on the side w/ the lump). ON the drive home I started to not feel well. I tried to nurse, but my ds refused the side with the lump and I noticed I also had a milk blister on the nipple. Within an hour I had the chills/feverish.

I paged my midwife. She suggested warm moist heat on the infected breast, Motrin and if no improvement within 24 hours then start antibotics. She also said this wasn't her area of expertise and I would need to speak with a LC. That night my son nursed on the infected breast several times during the night

The next day I still had a fever. I still had a hard sore spot in the breast. I continued to nurse and use warm moist heat on the lump.

I went to work on Friday. I pumped in the AM, nursed at lunch, and pumped in the PM. This time I got almost no milk out on the infected side.

The hard spot has gradually dimished. The milk blister has also healed. I still am experiencing fatigue and a sore breast. It is no longer painful to the touch, it is more of a deep pain.

Is it a bruised feeling deep inside? You cannot feel any lumps, or see any plugs, right?

How long was your course of antibiotics for?

Jolie, that's a perfect description of the pain. I cannot feel any lumps or see any plugs or blisters. I have the antibiotics for 7 days. Wednesday is the last day.

How are you feeling today? Coincidentally, the current issue of New Beginnings has a feature article about mastitis. So far, I haven't read anything that says how many days it takes to feel better once you start the antibiotics. The recommendations (as you probably know) are to take the full course of antibiotics, rest, drink plenty of fluids, increase your vitamin C intake, use alternate massage and hot compresses on the affected side to help it drain better, & use different positions at various feedings to drain all the parts of the breast (is he nursing better on that side yet?). And if pain inhibits the let-down on that side, nurse on the unaffected breast first then switch to drain breast on the affected side.
    Mastitis can make the milk taste saltier, which causes some babies to refuse the breast.
    According to the BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, due to inflammation in the breast a mother's milk supply may be temporarily reduced in the affected breast until the mastitis has cleared and she's had a chance to increase her supply. The milk doesn't flow well and when the breast is full this signals the body to decrease milk production. Once the mastitis has cleared you should be able to bring your supply back up to where it was, but it may take several days or longer of frequent feedings on that breast.
    Hang in there!
    Mary

As long as you can't feel any plugs or lumps, or see any blockages on your nipple pores, then I would think you're experiencing the commonly felt bruised feeling, which is a part of the healing process. Like a bruise, it will fade with a little time.

I have to say that my milk supply was never the same on the side I had mastitis. I am pretty sure its due to the mastitis, but I had it so early on, that its hard to say which was my better producer. Now, with being pregnant and always having a lower supply on that breast, I am almost dried up on that side. Dd will only nurse on that side at night and then always wants the other side to finish.

I have wondered for a long time if the ducts are permanently damaged or if it will resolve to some degree with the next baby.

It's an awful illness to go through!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    I have wondered for a long time if the ducts are permanently damaged or if it will resolve to some degree with the next baby.
    Thanks for your kind words.

When your next baby comes, you will have *lots of milk* again! Even if you lost some of your supply, I doubt it hurt anything permanently.

Jolie, thanks for your post - thats what I was hoping to hear

LLL Jolie, do you have to take an antibiotic? Will mastitis just go away on its own if you do what you recommended? If it does go away how long utnil the bruised feeling subsides?