Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cheerios

Default cheerios

ok, don't throw stones... but i put some cheerios on dd's tray yesterday mostly to see what she would do with them. she is 7.5 months and i didn't even know if it was ok nutritionally or safe for her to eat them, but i was farely positive she wouldn't be able to even get them in her mouth. i've done pieces of other foods before and she never eats them even if she can pick them up. well wouldn't ya know it, she picks 'em right up and eats 'em. i was shocked. she actually chews them (no teeth) and was loving it. my LLL said its a little early for her to have them cause of the wheat starch, but that it was totally fine depending on how i felt about that. i was gearing towards not giving her anything processed for as long as i could.. but now that i know she'll eat them, its very convenient. they have sugar and salt in them too which i don't like.. and most of what i've read about wheat is to wait til after a year. should i not be too worried about this?

Default Re: cheerios

You can get O's from Whole Foods or other such Health food stores that are free from those bad things. I gave my DD cheerios at 8 months because she got them in her stocking. I gave them to her all through the Christmas celebrations over the 3 days and she reacted poorly to them. They caused some major constipation, and a bad bad rash. I would not recommend the Chreerio brand but you can find an alternative.

O's are great! DS started them around the same time your LO did and they have been a staple ever since (the kid still won't eat much of any thing else at 11.5 mos). They are great for teaching fine motor skills and dissolve easily in the mouth so no choking worries. We've recently added corn chex which have become another fave.

No stones! I see nothing wrong with it, IMO.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I have never given the original Cheerios....but I do give LO Multigrain Cheerios. He loves them and has no reaction. I am able to give him a half of a whole wheat bagel as well...so I know wheat is not an issue for us. It is on the high allergen list though...if you or your partner has lots of allergies, you can pass this on....Just be careful =)
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Trader Joe's O's are wheat free and yummy.

Janne

8 1/2 mo. I started my daughter on O's, she loves them and will stay happily occupied with them for quite awhile actually. So far no reaction, so I guess she is ok with the wheat, it has been about a month, aren't they cute the way they jam them into their mouths

O's are a staple 'round here and I just found out that the Organic Joe's O's are cheaper than regular Cheerios. Whooda thunkit?

I give Isabelle a handful of Multigrain Cheerios every morning while I get the rest of our breakfast ready. She loves them. Hmm....except this morning she started hiding them on the side of her high chair instead of eating them, so she may be sick of them. I've given them to her for a while now.

I never even thought of the wheat issue... DH is allergic to peanuts and legumes, so she is at a higher risk for allergies. She's never had a reaction to the Cheerios, and I even give her pieces of my sandwich (whole wheat bread) whenever I have one. Could she develop an allergy later if she hasn't had a reaction, yet?

We started Cheerios around that age and they have like one gram of salt and sugar per serving (bowl) not in the 10 that will keep her busy for a half and hour just trying to get them to her mouth. What's not to love about the cheerios? A tasty snack AND the ability to work on Dexterity!

Way too lazy for formula