Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: constipated...please help

Default Re: constipated...please help

My daughter has had a really hard time with constipation the last 2 mo. or so. Her stools were HUGE! Honestly I had no idea that a baby could poop anything that size, I felt so bad for her, and they were as hard as rocks, just dreadful. We have tried different things to try to get them to change, prunes, extra water(which she just hasn't gone for), backing off on solids, EBM, upping her fruit intake....But what I have found that has worked the best is NOT feeding her any bananas, (which is sad because she loves them), or rice cereal, giving her at least half of a pear, (squished up/very ripe), and 1/4 to 1/3 of avocado, (again squished up, thankfully she loves avocado). Also, when she was younger, pre-solid days, it was not unusual for her to go 7 days without pooping, and her stool when it came was fine, now that she has started solids, if she doesn't go every day or two I get worried, because it usually means something is constipating her. I hope this helps, it is funny, in my pre-baby days I never thought that I would be talking so much about poop now....babies do change everything don't they I hope it gets better for you and your lo.

thanks everyone. all of this is really good feedback. i've gotten a couple of ideas...pears, prunes, avocado...none of which i've tried yet. i've cut back on solids and am trying to increase BM and water to see if that will work. if not, i will have try the others. i hate her straining so hard.

so, the other question is, what should her stool look like? what is normal for 7 months and starting solids?

My son's stools when not constipated are formed but soft, and still a little wet. Sort of clayey, like play-doh. He strains a little to pass them, and makes a little hicuppy sound as he does. But it doesn't hurt. HTH.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

I'm trying to think back to what my daughter's were like at seven mo....I think when she wasn't struggling with the constipation, they were soft, but somewhat formed, not liquidy at all. We weren't doing alot with the solids when she was seven mo. because constipation was starting to be such an issue, but just a little solid food did have a dramatic effect of her stools.

hi everyone,

i'm bumping this up again...my daughter is now 8 months old and it seems constipation is still a problem. i feed her only once a day and it's mostly fruits and vegetables. i've stayed away from rice cereal, bananas, and even apples. she doesn't go everyday and when she does, it's such a struggle for her and she goes very little, considering how much she's eating.

what should i do? i'm giving her prunes and fruit juices and sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. she loves to eat. is it maybe her body isn't ready?

thanks.

My DD was the same when we started, it was like rabbit pellets and some the size of a golf ball... poor thing. Then a friend told me to give her "P" fruit in the morning. So I found that Pears sort of worked, Prunes gave her a rash but Peach worked great. So now even if she has cereal or banana in the morning as long as I give her a serving of peaches which she loves shes nice and soft agian.

hope it helps.

My son has the same problem, I was told P foods, like pp, Peaches, Prunes, Plums, Peas, Pears, also pear juice, apple juice, or white grape juice. They said to stay away from applesauce/apples when constipated also. As a last resort the dr. said to do an infant suppository (cut in 1/3). After 7 days last time we used the suppository (had to do 1/3 piece twice, once per 1.5) and he had a total blowout and was fine after that.

Nancy

Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06

Quote Originally Posted by tigger74 View Post
    i'm giving her prunes and fruit juices and sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't.
    For my son, giving him the fruit worked better than the juice. I also found watermelon worked wonders for him and fast too!

Quote Originally Posted by tigger74 View Post
    i feed her only once a day and it's mostly fruits and vegetables. i've stayed away from rice cereal, bananas, and even apples.
    I try to offer him water very often through out the day because fibre without water makes matters worse. Now he drinks about 5 ounces a day. I have found once we started feeding solids that keeping a balance of the kinds of food and the amounts is an art in itself . So I don't think necessarily that it's because your baby is not ready.

Hope your baby's feeling better soon.
    Last edited by dorothy; April 23rd, 2007 at 02:58 AM.
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

it seems i've tried everything...and we did use a suppository also because we felt sorry for her and it worked. but i don't want her getting use to those things.

One of my friend's pediatrician suggested giving baby his usual solids with a teaspoon of olive oil mixed in. So she gave him carrots, but with only half a teaspoon of olive oil in it, and it worked.

When my son had really bad constipation, I cut back on all solids except fruits and gave him water till the constipation cleared. It took about a week and a half to see normal Bf stools again at regular intervals.
    Last edited by dorothy; April 23rd, 2007 at 03:24 AM.