Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: constipated...please help

Default constipated...please help

my daughter started solids a month ago when she was 6 months. she was okay until a few weeks ago and then i noticed she was straining and her poop became adult-like. my ped said the adult-like poop is normal but the straining is probably constipation. i'm feeding her baby food from jar and we've done rice cereal, bananas, apples, sweet potato, carrots, and peas.

anyhow, is it the solids? i've read rice cereal and bananas can be constipating but she hasn't had rice cereal for awhile and bananas she didn't like so i stopped it for awhile. my suspicion is that she's not getting enough liquids. i try to give her water and she takes a bit. she's breastfeeding like usual i think...but i have this suspicion that i don't seem to be producing as much milk anymore.

so what should i do? decrease solids? increase water and/or add prune juice? maybe supplement with formula to make sure she's getting her fill of milk?

Default Re: constipated...please help

hmmm. I am under the impression that straining does not always equal constipation.

When you say like an adults, do you mean hard or just more formed that "normal"?

I'll be back with a link or two (let's hope I can find them. )

ETA-

sorry i cant find them on dh's computer.

but i also would say to step back on soilds a bit if you're concerned and offer more bf'ing sessions
    Last edited by Number3; March 18th, 2007 at 08:50 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I would step back a bit from the solids and breastfeed more. That should get you through the current stool issue.

I agree with Number 3....I was told that straining IS normal, but HARD stools were not. I would expect that once you start solids, the stool will definitely be harder to pass for your LO, but unless they're HARD, it should be OK.

That said, it's still OK to lay off the solids a bit and try again another time. And yes, bananas & rice cereal are common constipation culprits.

Lisa

her stools are definitely formed. and i think they are "hard" but i guess it depends on what you mean by "hard". they are basically like adults. no more mushiness or the liquid solid kind. that disappeared about 2 weeks after she started solids...around the time i started her on bananas actually...

also, in terms of more BM, it's funny because i think i feed her more now then i did before. i'm really worried that i don't have enough milk for her and she's not getting her fill of liquids. diaper counts seem normal. i just hate to see her strain and she goes little bit here and there.

thanks for help.

My daugher has this problem too. And her BM's are really huge and they are obviously stretching her anus causing pain. She gets red in the face and screams bloody murder. But the stool comes out soft and formed. I know she is getting plenty of milk and two small meals of solids a day. I started giving her prune juice and Boca Burgers that have lots of fiber. I'm hoping that helps.

sblairc, thanks for your reply. it's always nice to hear someone go through the same problem...not that i wish this for you and your daughter. let me know if the prune juice and boca burgers work. my daughter is only 7 months and i've only been feeding her pureed food so not sure about the boca burgers. how old is your daughter?

i was feeding my daughter 2 meals a day starting last week but i'm going to cut down to 1 to see if that makes a difference.

My dd has always strained -by that i mean grunting and obviously pushing. Constipation is when it hurts (according to my ped). She's had that just a couple times (after rice cereal). You can definitely tell - she wimpers for a few seconds and pushes her face into my chest (or dad's chest). It's pitiful, really. Ours was caused by switching formula (which she has during daycare).

dr sears has some good info on his web site.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

my dd can only handle a 1/2 of a bannana or she will have trouble for shure.
    That and lots of cheese.
    I aggre with Lisa at 7 months you can cut out most solids for a few days intill her poops are a little bit easier for her and then add some solid foods back in slowly.
    My dd is 3 and I give her a teaspoon of over the counter fiber in her morning cows milk. She's almost 4 and only nurses to go to bed at night.
    Thats the great thing about breastmilk, untill they start solids they realy don't normaly have trouble pooping.
    You could try a little bit of juice at 7 months too, just make sure it doesn't have a lot of added sugar. My dd doesn't do well on juice it makes her bottom sore.

My ds did and still does the same thing. He's now 11 mos. The only thing that works every time for us is prunes. Not the juice, but actual stage 1 prunes. NOT mixed with apples or pears. After one or two feeding of the plain prunes, he has an explosion and all is better. If he skips a day without pooping, I pull out the prunes. I never want him to go several days without pooping, even though the ped says it's normal. I think he should be regular because if he has several days of poo built up, how hard do you think that would be to pass!!
    Another good option for us is pear juice. I think it works better than prune juice. Now every child is different, but this is what has worked best for my 2 sons.
    Good luck!

Hi. My son had constipation when we started on solids too. Hard pellet-like stools, with streaks of blood. And of course it hurt, so he started to hold in his stools which made things worse.

I cut back on solids, continued to breastfeed, offered him water. I tried to get him to drink at least 5 ounces a day. He usually managed about half of that. I also gave him pears, pureed and iced which he loved!

BTW, giving more fibre can worsen the constipation if he doesn't drink enough water.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1