Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green poop?? 17 days old

Question Green poop?? 17 days old

Hello, my daughter is 17 days old, exclusively bf (but started giving pumped milk in a bottle 1x/day yesterday). Today I noticed some green lummps in her normal yellow stool. What does this mean? Is she sick??

I have read that it can be normal, but...nervous first-timer here!!

Thanks, Karen

Default Re: Green poop?? 17 days old

Once in a while is not usually a problem. However, if her stool is consistently green, or is green more often than not, that is often a sign of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance - too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. This can be caused by milk overproduction.

Here's a great article explaining milk production, overproduction, and what to do if your baby is exhibiting signs of foremilk/hindmilk imbalance:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...Oct95p69a.html

Thanks Kerry. I'm trying to stay on one for as long as she wants it. Sometimes though she seems to be done with a feeding in less than 10 minutes, other times it takes more than 20 min on a side, so I'm wondering if during the shorter feedings she isn't getting the hindmilk, thus making it more likely that she will be hungry again in a short while.

-Karen

Consistently green stools in the breastfed baby can indicate:
    • an imbalance of foremilk/hindmilk, often resulting in frothy green stools.
    • a sensitivity to something in the mother's diet, such as cow's milk products. You might like to try eliminating dairy products from your diet for 10-14 days to see if this improves things. Do you have a history of any allergies in the family as this makes food sensitivity more likely?
    • a sign that baby has an illness. Babies with an intestinal virus or even a simple cold will sometimes have green, mucusy stools.
    • a lot of green vegetables or something with green food coloring in your diet.

The consensus among breastfeediing experts seems to be that if the baby is thriving then green stools are nothing to worry about - once you have ruled out food intolerances and foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Jack Newman says just wear dark glasses when you change your baby’s diaper!

Thankyou. The article that was posted helped explain things a lot. This all makes sense now. I was having some of the same problems.

My first daughter had a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance which improved when I fed her on the same breast for 2 hours (intermittently, not for the full 2 hrs) before giving her the other one.