Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not Taking Bottle at Daycare

Default Not Taking Bottle at Daycare

Hello- I am new to this forum, though have greatly enjoyed reading some of the posts on here. I can relate to a lot of it- the yanking of the nipple with her mouth, trying to jam fingers in mouth while nursing, etc. Too funny!

My DD is 4.5 months old. She is an avid breastfeeder and does enjoy comfort nursing regularly. I returned to work a month ago and initially she was doing great with the bottle (EBM), though in the last couple of weeks she's begun refusing it at daycare. I work part-time (2.5 consecutive days per week) and then she is at home with me for 5 days.

Any thoughts on whether I should attempt to replace one of my daily nursing sessions with a bottle feeding? It would be great if DH could do it in the evenings when he is home from work, but that seems counter productive since DD is extra fussy in the evening. It breaks my heart to think of her being hungry at daycare, so I'm open for suggestions on how we can balance as much nursing as possible at home while encouraging the bottle feeding when necessary. Thanks so much!

Default Re: Not Taking Bottle at Daycare

I don't think that she will go hungery, maybe there is just too much to see and too much going on to eat. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

At first, my DD wouldn't take a bottle from the sitter. In part, I think it was because she wanted me there, even though she'd taken bottles from people just fine before. Then I gave her fresh instead of frozen milk, and she ate much more. She still never got back up to where I think she would have eaten from me rather than a bottle, but she got used to it.

She still eats once or twice overnight (at 10 MOs), which initially I think was reverse cycling, but now I chalk it up to habit more than anything, given how little she actually eats.

So, if you can deal wtih a little more nursing when you're with the baby, I wouldn't sweat it. They all seem to figure something out, whether it's waiting for the real thing or finally getting used to the bottle...

Just a word of warning... I'm not yet a mom so I have no personal experience with this per se, but I did work in a daycare for several years. Would it be possible for you to send a blanket to daycare with your daughter (perferably one you've slept with for a couple days so it smells like you) that her care-provider can lay between her and your daughter while she's feeding or let your daughter hold it for comfort...? I don't know if this would work, but it could be worth a try.

I just went through a very similar problem. My DD was taking a bottle great then started refusing. She isn't a comfort nurser, per se, but she def. prefers me. We were using Avent bottles with #1 nipples, tried the #2 and she wouldn't take either. I tried the playtex ventaire and the nuk nipples but she finally ended up liking the playtex nurser nipples, slow flow. You might try substituting nipples. And she def. likes fresh rather than frozen milk better, although we can ussually get her totake a little frozen, to take the edge off the hunger.

erin