Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids Question

Default Solids Question

I have a question about when to introduce solids. We are a ways off from doing so as dd is just 13 weeks old. DD has reflux. When a baby has reflux, should one wait for a longer period of time prior to introducing solids or does the reflux affect that at all? My concern is that the rice cereal, being of a thicker consistency would become stuck in DD's throat and pose a choking risk if she were to spit up after having eaten it. Or, would it have the opposite effect and help her to keep down more of her meal? Again, just curious, not really needing or wanting to introduce solids for a while. DD's weight gain is great, 14lbs, 12oz at three months of age (was 7lbs, 10oz at birth).

Thanks for any input!

Amber

Default Re: Solids Question

doctor's might tell you to add cereal but it's not proven to help babies keep a feed down.
    I would wait as long as your baby is willing to wait, some babies don't eat much solid foods intill way past the 6 month point some even wait untill they are about a year old. If you wait then you can introduce ground meats 1st and thats high in iron.
    do you have food alergies ect.... then I would wait as long as possible.

Here's a review of a great book about intro'ing solids.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBNovDec02p228a.html

I do not believe that solids early help at all in reflux.
    The following is a link to a woman who has exclusively breastfed her children with reflux.
    It is not an approved LLL website though.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~fsdebra1/index.html

Thanks for the feedback! Like I said, we're quite a ways away from introducing solids, I'm just trying to come up with a plan of action. I had no intention of introducing them until dd was 6 months but now am thinking maybe we should wait a while longer, especially since reflux is an issue.

Thanks again,
    Amber