Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: best high chair and first food?

Default best high chair and first food?

We are counting the days....I am thinking of bananna? Whats a good first food? And any one have a fav High chair?
    karin

wife to the best guy... anthony
    BF~PTCD'ing~ co-sleeping~ babywearing~organic eating mom to adorable anneliese 9/27/06 and sweet little melania 12/22/07
    and mom to my first love.... 3 fur babies

Default Re: best high chair and first food?

be careful with the bananas. I did the bananas with my lo and she is having problems with constipation. I feel so bad for her because she strains and doesn't have much luck, which is very different than before solids. She also is allergic to bananas which is strange because neither I nor my husband have food allergies. Also, the bananas gave her bad gas.

I have the Graco contempo high chair and I really like it. I live in an apt so I don't have alot of space. It folds up super slim and fits right in the corner of my dining area. The height is also adjustable so LO is at the same level as our table. I believe that he should be part of our family meal time so I feed him while I am eating. When he is done, he sits with the family until we are finished eating.

I started with bananas and DS really liked them. My pedi suggested bananas, sweet potatoes, or avacado as the first foods. Remember, when starting solids, start one food at a time and wait a few days before trying a new food. That way if you have any problems you will know what food is the source.

There's lots of info on the first foods. I'm sure someone will provide some more info on that.

As for the high chair, we use The First Years booster/high chair. http://www.learningcurve.com/product/detail/Y4411

We love it, and love the fact that we can just disconnect it and bring it with us if we go to Grandma's. However, I will say that they are NOT a good idea if your chairs are top-heavy or unstable in any way. Our chairs are really sturdy, so it works great. And, the best part was that it was about $30, which was key when we bought high chairs for twins.

Lisa

I highly recommend avocados as first food. it is a superfood in terms of its nutrition and fat content. But make sure you make the texture somewhat watery the first times you give it since the LOs easily gag on anything harder
    We use the Fisher Price easy clean high chair and it works fine.

We started with banana (mushed up with a fork then thinned out with some breastmilk) and he loved it. He's had lots of new foods now too (and likes them all), but still seems to love banana most.

I couldn't get Ligrile's link to work for me, so I hope I'm not being redundant, but MY personal favorite high chair is a booster chair as well. Here's a link to the one we own: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B00007GVNM I don't know the brand off hand, but I do know that all of the pieces come apart really easy, and you can throw the whole thing in the dishwasher.

We moved from a high chair to a booster chair with our oldest son when he got to be about a year old, as he really didn't eat well in the high chair...we realized that he wanted to be a part of the family, and ate much better when he was at the table with everybody else. So with DS#2, we bought this chair, and its been great since day one! It saves so much space, and LO is right at the table...although a little farther back than if he didn't use the tray.

This one has a tray, so you can use it when they're really little, and its adjustable so that you can use it as a booster at the table as well.

Even my mom has a foldable version of one of these booster chairs with the tray, so it works at her house too.

As far as bananas go...its a good choice, and allergies are pretty unlikely to it...even though one of the first posters wasn't so lucky with her child. W/re: the constipation problem, its true, bananas can do that, but that can be alleviated if you don't overdo the bananas, and make sure baby is taking in plenty of BM...or has some water with meals as long as baby is OVER 6 mos., AND your Ped. oks it. Bear in mind too, that solids are a totally different ballgame than BM, so some babies have some problems with constipation at the beginning no matter what they try first. Prunes (like jarred babyfood prunes) seemed to really help my oldest with that in the beginning.

We use the Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster Seat. It just straps to the chair and you can carry it with you when on the go..We love it, it's simple and is portable
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old