Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is five minutes enough? And other questions...

Default Re: Is five minutes enough? And other questions...

As the pp said, if all is fine, you may not need to worry. But if there are things going on that don't seem right, then OALD/oversupply can be the culprit.

You said you are using 4 hour blocks of time and BM's are still pure liquid and bright green. While some variances in color are normal and some babies can have green BM's and be fine, if you are feeling that ds is having a hard time, then the BM's would be a way you can guage how things are going.

Rarely, but sometimes, mothers in your situation have to go to even longer blocks of time: 5-6 hours, to downgrade supply. You might consider this.

And you are right in that some babies just aren't bothered by this, while others are. DS is lucky to have such a caring and concerned mom!

How long should I really give it at 4 hour blocks before going further? I am hesitant to go further as just from the way my breasts feel supply is definately on the decline. Also he has continued to be at 3 hours between feedings which is more what I expected them to be at this point. Also his diaper output has dropped to the lowest I would be comfortable seeing from him, about 8. His bm's have nto changed color or consistency but have decreased in amount as well, 2 or 3 good bm's any others more just like a staining of his diaper not really bm's just from everythign being loose.
    Also the last couple days I have developed an intense itch in both nipples and some feelings of a deep kind of sharp pain sometimes even between feedings. Could this be a result of the block feedings or is it liable to be something else I should be more concerned about? It's not terribly bad,more just irritating right now.

My son often makes noises nursing - I wonder if that is his way of dealing with all the milk? That's something I hadn't thought about. But it doesn't seem to hurt me, so I don't worry about it. He never nurses in five minutes though, except his one middle of the night feeding when I can barely get him to eat enough to relieve my engorgement. But I have a friend whose baby is very quick and is gaining a huge amount of weight. Oh well, at least I have some time to read while he's nursing.

IF you feel like things have decreased enough to meet your comfort level, then you can wait it out at this stage. You know your baby best and you see him day to day-and also see his diapers! So if things are slowing down, then that is probably a sign to wait at the 4 hour blocks.

As far as the pain in your breast and itchiness, this could not come from anything related to block feeding. Has his latch been ok? Anything changed lately for you in your diet? Does ds have white patches in his mouth? (not white "milk tongue", but cheesy looking white patches on the insides of his cheeks.) Did either of you recently have antibiotics? Are you prone to vaginal yeast infections? You may have something called thrush. You can read more about it hear.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html

If you read this over and think this may be the cause, check out this article. It is very thorough.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov98p91.html

Hang in there! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Don't see any signs of thrush in Davids mouth, just my nipples, but will definately watch now that I know what to look for thank you!
    We took him to be weighed this morning and I was a bit off in his weight. He's more than 12 pounds, he's 12 pounds 10 ounces (at 4 weeks 5 days)!! Things are definately better with having blocked as for 3 days in a row now, he's not gone less than 2 1/2 hours between nursings!! We are both much more content.
    Thank you very much for your help!!