Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yogurt

Default Re: Yogurt

[QUOTE=marymud;150779]I just started with a banana last night so I have been reading up on solids. Here is a good LLL link:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html
    To minimize the risk of allergies, it's a good idea to wait until your baby is at least a year old before introducing citrus fruits (including oranges, lemons, and grapefruit) kiwi, strawberries, peanuts and peanut butter, eggs, soy products (including soy milk and tofu), and cow's milk (including cheeses, yogurt, and ice cream). [\QUOTE]

Shoot, if that's the case...DS is in trouble. He's eaten almost everything on that list. He loves scrambled or hardboiled eggs, soy milk, butter (on toast), kiwi, tomatoes, strawberries, yogurt, ashamed: ice cream

He eats all of these things with abandon. I swear people are making their kids more allergic to things these days because they withhold so much. I mean, a kid that has an anaphylactic rxn to PB is obviously allergic...but if DS eat a tomato and he gets an upset tummy, I don't immediately think "Oh God, he's got an allergy" ....I think to myself, "ok, maybe his body isn't ready for tomatoes, lets wait a few weeks and try again"

Just my 2 cents...
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

[QUOTE=ShilohsMom;150959]
    Quote Originally Posted by marymud View Post
    I just started with a banana last night so I have been reading up on solids. Here is a good LLL link:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html
    To minimize the risk of allergies, it's a good idea to wait until your baby is at least a year old before introducing citrus fruits (including oranges, lemons, and grapefruit) kiwi, strawberries, peanuts and peanut butter, eggs, soy products (including soy milk and tofu), and cow's milk (including cheeses, yogurt, and ice cream). [\QUOTE]

Shoot, if that's the case...DS is in trouble. He's eaten almost everything on that list. He loves scrambled or hardboiled eggs, soy milk, butter (on toast), kiwi, tomatoes, strawberries, yogurt, ashamed: ice cream

He eats all of these things with abandon. I swear people are making their kids more allergic to things these days because they withhold so much. I mean, a kid that has an anaphylactic rxn to PB is obviously allergic...but if DS eat a tomato and he gets an upset tummy, I don't immediately think "Oh God, he's got an allergy" ....I think to myself, "ok, maybe his body isn't ready for tomatoes, lets wait a few weeks and try again"

Just my 2 cents...
    Leslie, ITA. My dd is 8 mos and so far, we've introduced everything that I've eaten (I figure she gets it in the breastmilk so why not have her try it). So she had eggs yesterday (we do whites only, but I had her try the whole thing scrambled), she had some organic strawberry yogurt and loved it!

For us it's just a matter of common sense, I wouldn't give her honey or peanut butter. But everything else...as long as I'm around to monitor her response, I let her try it.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Great replies! So, will any kind of yogurt do? Or does it have to be a certain kind??? Do you give plain yogurt? Or with fruits added? How much do your babies take in one go?
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

This is an interesting thread! I must admit I had a very laid back approach to introducing new foods, but have kept pretty much to the recommended minimum ages here in the UK (6 months dairy, 9 months eggs).

BUT to my horror, DD had a pretty nasty reaction to yoghurt at 6 months and eggs at 9 months. All I would say with the benefit of hindsight is proceed with caution: try just a taste for the first time and watch carefully. I couldn't believe my daughters reaction the first time yoghurt touched her lips (she didn't ingest any) she swelled and had a nasty hives reaction. Prior to 6 months I had no idea that she was allergic to dairy and there is no history in the family.

I don't want to scare anyone, all I'm saying is be cautious and enjoy the weaning process!

Sue

Yes, Leslie, we're all in trouble! We introduced yogurt a couple of months ago. I mix plain yogurt with fruit - dd loves it!

We did some of the YoBaby for a while until, to my horror, I realized how much sugar is in there...organic or not, I don't want him having that much sugar. I do plain, organic whole milk yogurt now and he loves it. Every once in a while I'll give him some of the flavored stuff, but usually I just do plain stuff with some fruit mixed it. I'll also mix it in with other things randomly...avocado/ban/yogurt is one of his FAVES!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Dh had all sorts of allergies to milk, eggs, etc as a child. I have none. I`ve been really cautious (maybe too much so) about introducing solids. I think I will give yogurt a try. Just a tiny bit first...

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohsMom View Post
    We started yogurt at 6 months...I think it was actually one of his first foods. He LOVES yogurt. If he's in a funk and won't eat anything else, I know he'll eat yogurt. I gave it every other day until I was sure it didn't bother him, and now he usually eats some yogurt every single day. He recognizes it in the fridge and SCREAMS with glee when I get some for him.

Haha! We just started DS on yogurt now that he turned 9 months old. He pretty much responded the same way as Shilohsmoms and to think I was worried he wasnt going to like plain yogurt. Now he only wants yogurt and is refusing his previous favorites!!!