Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yogurt

Default Yogurt

Ds is 6.5 mo and he`s been on solids for a little while now. When can I start giving him some yogurt? I`m still a little confused if he has a dairy sensitivity or not (just haven`t been able to figure it out ). Could giving him a little cause problems?
    Also, what is the difference between giving cow`s milk and giving yogurt before 1 year? Not that I want to give lo cow`s milk, just wondering...
    TIA

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Default Re: Yogurt

i think yogurt is more broken down?? i waited till just before 10 months....ds loves it....stonyfield farms organic whole, plain
    there is so much more stuff to introduce at 6.5 months....id wait a little longer
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Thanks for posting this thread Foreverhomeless. I wanted to ask the same question myself! I used to have some difficulty digesting cow's milk. So I wondered if my son could have the same issue. But I wanted to know when to introduce yoghurt to him to see how he takes to it. He is 9.5 months.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

I guess it would depend on what you mean by sensitivity. Do you mean more of an intolerance or an allergy? An intolerance, if your lo had one, is more likely to be outgrown by now than an allergy. Are you consuming cow's milk in your diet? If not, then I would intro it to your diet first, and see how it goes. If he seems to tolerate it well in your diet, then you could iintro to him directly. I know the Super Baby Food book says to intro at 6 months, but I think closer to 9 months is what is usually suggested. For allergy-prone kids it's a year.

If you think your lo may be allergic, or does not tolerate dairy through your milk, I would not intro. I made that mistake--figuring that some plain whole milk yogurt would tell me "for sure" whether or not ds was allergic (the RAST was positive, but the SPT was negative for milk allergy, and the allergist said he probably wasn't allergic). Needless to say, we found out the hard way that he was at 8 months. Even though my dairy-tainted milk just slightly worsened his eczema, a few baby-spoonfuls of yogurt caused wheezing, vomiting, and hives. Not that this will necessarily be your case, but I just thought I'd share my story.

Angela

The difference between cow's milk and yogurt is because yogurt has lots of good bacteria in it the milk proteins (which are very hard for babies to digest) are broken down. I am waiting for the 9-month mark to give my son any dairy since he has eczema but there is nothing wrong with giving it to babies after 6 months.

I happen to know alot on this topic. =)

Yogurt is made by adding the bacterial culture Lactobacillus bulgaricus to milk. This culture acts as a digestive enzyme, transforming the milk lactose to lactic acid. This actually makes the yogurt less allergenic.

Therefore, yogurt can actually be tolerated by a LO who is allergic to milk proteins. And is quite yummy too
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

i wanted to do yogurt too (dd 7.5 months) and i have the super baby food book that says ok after 6 months... but my ped scolded me and told me to wait til after a year. there is no one in my family with dairy allergies.. i think i may go for it anyhow. i do know that the cultures break it down more so it is easier to digest... and actually good for the digestive track.

Smile Re: Yogurt

I just started with a banana last night so I have been reading up on solids. Here is a good LLL link:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html
    To minimize the risk of allergies, it's a good idea to wait until your baby is at least a year old before introducing citrus fruits (including oranges, lemons, and grapefruit) kiwi, strawberries, peanuts and peanut butter, eggs, soy products (including soy milk and tofu), and cow's milk (including cheeses, yogurt, and ice cream).

Here is a great non-LLL source too (with lots of other links):
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ids-links.html

Here is a great link to for making yogurt from expressed breastmilk:
    http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv...d/?msg=46557.2
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I agree with most of the items on your allergy list....but I do not agree with yogurt. Every opinion is different, especially online..books..a ped...etc...Yogurt is predigested and is not the same as milk..if you do not have a history of milk allergies in the family, give yogurt a try. I AM lactose intolerant..and my LO LOVES LOVES LOVES yogurt. So do I, and I have never had an issue. But give me a glass of milk...NOWAY!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

We started yogurt at 6 months...I think it was actually one of his first foods. He LOVES yogurt. If he's in a funk and won't eat anything else, I know he'll eat yogurt. I gave it every other day until I was sure it didn't bother him, and now he usually eats some yogurt every single day. He recognizes it in the fridge and SCREAMS with glee when I get some for him.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!