Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ongoing confusion and tahini!

Default Ongoing confusion and tahini!

So my LO is almost 9 months. We started solids at about 6.5. Stayed with one meal a day until about 8 months, started two meals a day about a month ago. Her appetite for solids varies from day to day, but is never that big. Sometimes she seems completely disinterested. And I would say she never seems "hungry" for them. I still nurse pretty frequently, and I almost always nurse before solids (about a half hour before) and offer after. I don't really nurse on-demand, I try to stick with somewhat of a schedule, but I never make her wait to eat. In fact, I would say I feed her before she's hungry, and sometimes I wonder if I am feeding her too often. She usually goes about 2.5 to 3 hours, but has been known to go 4 without a problem. At nine months should I be doing something different to encourage her to increase her solid intake? I know BM is the best thing, but I am looking to the future here. I would like to have her down to nursing just a few times a day around the one year mark. I don't necessarily want to wean, but I could use some freedom and flexibility in my life. Also, on a completely separate note, has anyone given their LO's tahini? Is it safe, how did you serve it, did they like it? Thanks for any guidance!

Default Re: Ongoing confusion and tahini!

Oh, I also am confused about protein. I have not introduced any meat into my LO's diet, and I would prefer not to for now. I tried sneaking some tofu and some beans into her fruit and veg, but she could taste the difference and rejected them. Do I need to introduce meat or can she go without for a while. We do yogurt and some cheese. Thanks!

Default Re: Ongoing confusion and tahini!

I probably would hold off on the tahini for a little while-it's made from sesame seeds, which are quite allergenic. (Then again, we have a history of allergies, and ds is already allergic to 4 foods, so my view is a bit skewed...)

My son is 8.5 months and still eats every 2 hours (except at night thank goodness)--I have the feeling that I'm not the norm though...he does still seem to have an appetite for solids, but he gets pretty small meals--a couple of tablespoons of fruit or veggie and some cereal. With my first son, he did not get a lot of solids until closer to a year (it was probably around 10.5 to 11months), it was actually a pretty easy transition for him.

You could try to space your solids halfway through your bf'ing sessions--your lo may be hungrier then. I try to make sure an hour has elapsed between nursing and solids.

Angela