Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cholesterol Levels and Breastfeeding: UPDATE

Default Cholesterol Levels and Breastfeeding: UPDATE

So I finally heard from our life insurance rep and because of the elevated cholesterol levels I do not qualify for the "elite" plan and only the "premium" plan. When I questioned this I was told that next year I can reevaluate the cholesterol levels. What if I BF until DS is 3 or 4? Then my cholesterol will be elevated until then and I'll be penalized because of that. It just doesn't seem right. And the Ins. rep said that even pregnant women also meet this sort of situation because of the extra weight gained during pregnancy and in his 35 years he's never seen the insurance company budge.

Does anyone know if I can fight this? Doesn't this just sound so wrong???

Default Re: Cholesterol Levels and Breastfeeding: UPDATE

Well, it definitely sounds like discrimination to me, but I doubt that there are any laws that would back up that claim. Just out of curiosity, what is the insurance company? Do the different plans have different premiums, different pay-offs? Extra weight gained during pregnancy causing a problem sounds even more ridiculous than the cholesterol thing. I mean, I can understand companies not being aware of "normal" causes of high cholesterol which wouldn't really indicate a higher risk, but pregnancy???? I'm not sure I have any suggestions, just agreeing that it sounds wrong...

The insurance company is Liberty Mutual. And I agree that the cholesterol thing, while it annoys me, can be something that could not be considered, but extra weight gain during pregnancy is discriminating for sure. I plan to try and bring it up to as many "higher ups" in the insurance company as I can even if it's just to make a point. Perhaps my premium won't change but maybe it will get them to reevaluate their standards and not treat people like a number. I can also shop around which is what I've been doing this weekend and plan to make some calls on Monday.

I don't think your complaining will do much, but I would like to encourage you to do it anyways. Talk with as many people as possible and when you do, mention the pregnancy thing..this just blows my mind!

Be a squeaky wheel. I did get my status raised to elite on another insurance after my husband just kept pestering them. But they totally rejected HIM on the plan because ONE TIME we took him in to the doctor because his heart had a funny rhythm and he felt strange. They discriminate all over the place. That's pretty much what they do. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylee's Mom View Post
    I don't think your complaining will do much, but I would like to encourage you to do it anyways. Talk with as many people as possible and when you do, mention the pregnancy thing..this just blows my mind!
    I agree with this. I'd suggest looking for the actual research/medical info that shows that elevated cholesterol is normal during lactation. I'd also recommend citing the research that shows the health BENEFITS to a mother of breastfeeding. Argue that their policy is not only discriminatory, but illogical and bad for business. Argue that a woman that does not breastfeed is actually at greater risk for health complications, not the other way around.

I also think shopping around is a good idea. And if you do go with another company, be sure to let them know why they are losing your business.

I had the same thing happen with First Colony Life. I was increasing my life ins after DD was born, and of course my cholesterol was high 1 month postpartum and i had no intention of paying high premiums for the entire length of my bf career. My weight was not an issue. I had my PCP write a letter that said that my cholesterol had previously been normal and that it was elevated due to pregnancy and lactation blah blah - and it actually worked and they gave me the the better premium. Its worth a try, especially if you have previous documentation of normal cholesterol.

Wow, thank you so much for the support, ladies!

I am going to try all of your suggestions and althought it may be a long road I hope I really do get somewhere with this. I'll keep you posted!

I am still waiting to hear on my cholesterol test results. I spoke to my agent and he said that, if the results are elevated we can work with the company to provide a waiver of their usual standards based on my special circumstances. I have other risk factors (epilepsy, mother died of breast cancer at 35, father diagnosed with diabetes before age 55) that pretty much make me a terrible risk anyway, so I'mjust hoping that I can get insurance at all. The company I am going through is U.S. Financial Life. I will also let you know how it goes. Unfortunately, I have never had my cholesterol tested before so there is nothing to compare.
    Kelardo-good luck to you as well.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks, Molly. I'll be curious to see what comes of your outcome as well.