Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Keeping milk supply up when Baby starts self-weaning

Default Keeping milk supply up when Baby starts self-weaning

How can I Keep my milk supply up now that baby is self-weaning?

My 9 1/2 month old son has started self-weaning & is now only drinking 2-3 x day.
    I was planning onm breastfeeding for 2 years in accordance with the World Health Organization's reccommendation but it seems like ds will be off the breast before then.

How can I Keep my milk supply up now that ds is self-weaning?

I am also concerned because ds is exclusively breastfed & does not drink from a bottle or sippy cup. Should I increase his solid foods or try to get him to drink more often? If so-how do I do this?

Default Re: Keeping milk supply up when Baby starts self-weaning

is he nursing any at night?
    sometimes older babies get to busy to nurse and they figure out if I nurse I got to sleep and take a nap and I don't want to do that.
    I maybe would try and offer more if you are worried about supply.

how much solids is baby getting a day?
    you could cut back if you think that he is not getting the milk that he needs.

Babies rarely will truly self-wean before the age of 2 and almost never before the age of 1. What seems like weaning could be a nursing strike. Many mothers find that slowing down, and carving out more quiet times during the days in addition to offering the breast more often will see the breastfeeding couple through a nursing strike.

Here is more info about nursing strikes: http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBstrikes.html

This one, in particular, is good http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBNovDec92p173.html

If anything, the previous poster was right on about decreasing solids rather than increasing. Your milk has all of the nutrients that your baby needs and no single solid food does and it would be nearly impossible to get the volume of foods into your baby that would amount to the nutrients found in your milk. One tip is to offer the breast first before *any* solid food, this may get your baby back to preferring the breast and filling up on your milk before playtime with solids.
    Last edited by LLLErin; March 28th, 2006 at 04:13 PM.

Thank you for the info but my initial question still remains unanswered even after viewing the links your provided.

What can I do to keep my milk supply up now that my ds is only drinking 3x day? Should I pump? If so how often?
    Should I take herbs?
    Should I wait to see what happens?
    How often shoudl I try to feed ds?

Quote Originally Posted by LLLErin
    Babies rarely will truly self-wean before the age of 2 and almost never before the age of 1. What seems like weaning could be a nursing strike. Many mothers find that slowing down, and carving out more quiet times during the days in addition to offering the breast more often will see the breastfeeding couple through a nursing strike.

Here is more info about nursing strikes: http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBstrikes.html

This one, in particular, is good http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBNovDec92p173.html

If anything, the previous poster was right on about decreasing solids rather than increasing. Your milk has all of the nutrients that your baby needs and no single solid food does and it would be nearly impossible to get the volume of foods into your baby that would amount to the nutrients found in your milk. One tip is to offer the breast first before *any* solid food, this may get your baby back to preferring the breast and filling up on your milk before playtime with solids.

Thank you for the info . Yes my DS is waking at nighht to eat but does not want to eat during the day which concerns me because he will go a whole day without fluids. Also-I am only feeding himm 3 jars of baby food per day & his morning oatmeal. He only gained less than a pound in 2 months but hsi Dr. said not to worry.

My initial question still remains unanswered even after viewing the LLL inks.

What can I do to keep my milk supply up now that my ds is only drinking 3x day? Should I pump? If so how often?
    Should I take herbs?
    How often should I try to feed ds?
    Is he getting enough fluids? -his Dr. says yes but 10 hrs per day wih no fluids & no weight gain concerns me.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio
    is he nursing any at night?
    sometimes older babies get to busy to nurse and they figure out if I nurse I got to sleep and take a nap and I don't want to do that.
    I maybe would try and offer more if you are worried about supply.

how much solids is baby getting a day?
    you could cut back if you think that he is not getting the milk that he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by wac866
    Thank you for the info . Yes my DS is waking at nighht to eat but does not want to eat during the day which concerns me because he will go a whole day without fluids. Also-I am only feeding himm 3 jars of baby food per day & his morning oatmeal. He only gained less than a pound in 2 months but hsi Dr. said not to worry.

My initial question still remains unanswered even after viewing the LLL inks.

Should I take herbs?
    How often should I try to feed ds?
    Is he getting enough fluids? -his Dr. says yes but 10 hrs per day wih no fluids & no weight gain concerns me.
    It is best to offer the breast more often, offering to nurse before solid feedings. You can cut out solid feedings altogether if it means he will be nursing more.

It is perfectly acceptable for him to be gaining slowly, if not at all at this age, as long as his overall health is good and he is nursing regularly.

Solid foods are not necessary, but if you plan on keeping your supply up, frequent nursing is. Chances are that time you would spend pumping would be better spent encouraging him to nurse more, slowing down, more quiet time, lying down with him if he is distractable.

If you decide to try herbs, I suggest reading "The Nursing Mother's Herbal" by Sheila Humphrey, which can be found on the La Leche League website catalog and working with your local LLL Leader. Here is a link pertaining to herbs & breastfeeding, which is not a LLL resource, but is reputable:
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/

If you do choose to try herbs or other galactagogues, keep in mind that to keep your supply up, even then, it will be necessary to nurse often as they will sometimes help initially, but it still comes down to the basic supply and demand.
    Last edited by LLLErin; March 29th, 2006 at 11:31 AM.

Here is my experience:
    My now 10 month old does the same thing. He only nurses 2-4 times--before his nap, before bed and once or twice (occasionally more) during the night-time. He still wakes up about every two hours but half the time he just wants to chew on me. I was really concerned about this and my doctor told me that as long as he is nursing at least two times and is still gaining weight and is happy then all is well. No need to force formula on him since he won't take it. My doctor said some babies just wean early. You can't make your son nurse. You can encourage it by trying to nurse in a distraction free environment. My son will only nurse if he thinks he is going to be put back down to sleep. Occassionally I have tricked him by taking him up to his room and put him in his sleep sack like he was going for a nap and he nursed. I only did this because he refused before his nap earlier that day. My son will only nurse in his room. My doctor just told me to make sure he is getting nutrition from cheese, yogurt, vegetables, fruit and meat and to try to wait to introduce cows milk at 12 months. My son won't drink much expressed milk either so my hands are tied. He will drink water however from a sippy cup. He is going to day care soon and I just plan to continue night nursing him until I can give him cows milk. My son hasn't really wanted to nurse since he turned 7 months. He would rather feed himself but whenever I give him formula or EM he throws it on the floor and spits out whatever got into his mouth before he realized what it was. All babies are different. You may want to reduce your son's solid intake to see if he will nurse more. If not, do the opposite and make sure he is getting his nutrition from solids. I wouldn't pump unless you think he is just on a temporary strike or if he seems agitated and wants more than he is getting. It is normal for your supply to reduce as he eats more solids, or if your period returns, if you are taking cold medication or other meds and especially if your son is nursing less. If your son is increasing frequency of nursing or is really fussy at the breast because he wants more than I would take fenugreek (2, 3times a day) and encourage more nursing sessions but don't force it or get to upset if he refuses and pump and that should increase your supply but once again why increase it if he doesn't really want it. It is worth a try. My supply fluctuates big time--One day I may be able to pump 8 oz at a sitting (20 min) and the next day less than one ounce. Usually I only get 4 oz total at one sitting. I never have had much success pumping. So your supply drop may be temporary. Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by glennysmom; April 6th, 2006 at 12:05 PM.