Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: best way to prepare chicken

Default best way to prepare chicken

My DD is 7 months and I was thinking of trying her on some meat, probably chicken. What is the best way to prepare it so that it is soft enough for her to gum? I thought about poaching it in broth, but was afraid that would add too much salt . ...

Default Re: best way to prepare chicken

I usually grill it or bake it. I give DS whatever we have for dinner. He gets the seasonings that I cook with. Then we just cut it up into small pieces.
    Mama to Andrew 6-20-06
    My angel in heaven, Benjamin William 11-2-07 to 11-5-07
    Kaitlyn 6-12-09

I agree, cook it the way you normally do...but without the extra salt, as babies and very young children can't process too much sodium.

Even if you grill it, and the outside is crispy, you can still cut up the inside parts and seperate the grains a bit if you have to.

That being said, my favorite way to cook chicken, because its the easiest, is to cook it in the oven with some onion slices and some fresh lemon juice and salt and pepper.

Or to dip the moist chicken pieces in flour, brown the chicken pieces on the stovetop and THEN put them in the oven to fully cook. THis gives them a breading, and keeps them really moist.

Both of these ways yield very moist chicken, and my DH is proof of that, he thought he didn't like chicken when we first got married until I cooked it for him. Evidently, his mom cooked chicken until it was very dry and hard to swallow, and he "thought" all chicken and turkey was like that.

I need to add one thing:

Be careful of frozen skinless chicken breasts. They are frozen in some sort of a salt bath, and there is TONS of excess sodium, they are NOT just frozen chicken breasts....so if you add other seasonings that have salt, you're just doubling the amount already there.

I found out about that when my pastor was having some heart problems, and he couldn't eat chicken that had been frozen in the bags like that.

your broth idea is a good one, just use the low sodium kind....i made a soup last night in the crockpot....white potato, sweet potato, diced tomato, chicken broth and cut up ckn breast...and carrots....a little nutmeg and cinnamon.....ds loved it....it was the first time i gave him chicken and only the third time he ate exactly what we had too
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Quote Originally Posted by Blessedbee View Post
    your broth idea is a good one, just use the low sodium kind....i made a soup last night in the crockpot....white potato, sweet potato, diced tomato, chicken broth and cut up ckn breast...and carrots....a little nutmeg and cinnamon.....ds loved it....it was the first time i gave him chicken and only the third time he ate exactly what we had too
    Oh wow, that sounds yummy. Could you PM me the measurements? I have a crock pot but I'm not used to using it.

i haven't introduced meat yet.. my dd is also 7.5 months and i was thinking about chicken too.. that said, my fav. way to prepare it is a whole chicken in the crock pot cause it just falls right apart and is nice and soft. i cut up celery carrots and onions in the bottom, place the chicken right on top and either cook on high 6 hours with 1 cup of water, or low for 10 hours with 1/2 cup of water.