Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Desperate Housewives?

Default Desperate Housewives?

Did anyone see this past weeks episode of Desperate Housewives? Lynette had a co-worker that was a breastfeeding advocate and everyone in her office was freaked out because her nanny was bringing the baby in to work so she coudl nurse him frequently during the day. The mom was making all kinds of good arguments for extended breastfeeding, etc. Her son was 5 years old and it was probably the first time anyone had seen a mother nurse an older child. At first I thought this was great, that they were exposing a wide audience to a new concept, etc, etc. However, in the last ten minutes of the episode she is seen crying at her desk and sad because her son had weaned himself. She then begins to cry that she will have to go back to the gym now because nursing burns so many calories a day, etc. Turned out the mother was a bit of a nut and seemed to be nursing her son more for her own benefit that his. She fit right in with the cast of crazy women on a television show but I was disappointed that the first exposure a lot of Americans might had had to extended breastfeeding was a negative one.

Anyone else see ths? I realize I am admitting that I watch crappy TV in front of all of you!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Default Re: Desperate Housewives?

I saw it too, so you're not the only one that watches crappy TV. Actually I missed whatever Lynette said to her, just caught the tail end of that, but I did see all the coworkers looking in and gasping. I thought it was very funny, maybe that's bad of me. I guess to me, extended BFing is one thing but that kid was HUGE you know? Like, I was thinking, why isn't he at kindergarten??? I think they tried to make the kid big enough that it would get the point across that this lady had issues, not so small that it'd be offensive to people who nurse beyond one year. That's what I thought anyway. I remember in the very first episode of DH, Lynette was nursing her daughter after Mary Alice's funeral.

I rarely watch the show, matter of fact this was only the second time that I had watched the show.

I found mysself just as emotional as she was. I was about to start crying with her. I didn't feel that the episode was negative to EN, she did list the benifits ealier in the episode.

I guess that is what I found irritating - it had a great opportunity to advocate breastfeeding and then it all got absurd, I think the kid could have been reading a book probably, he was a big 5!

I watched teh episode with my mother and a grilfriend that are always on my case about "quitting all that" as they like to refer to weaing my 6 month old daughter. So, when she was listing all of the positive benefits I was cheering her on. When she said that she was letting her son wean when he felt the time was right, I was saying "See, see? It is not just me??!!" I guess I wa sjust bummed that the woman turned out to be a looney tune, because both my friend and my mother just gave me this face like, "Mmmhmm.... " at the end of the episode. Didn't do a lot to make ME not look like a nut in their eyes.
    I had to admit I was disturbed that I kind of had the heebie-jeebies, too. I had hoped I would be able to maintain my defense of this woman's decisions. But when the kid walked in and practically had a breifcase insteadof a book bag, I caved. I was kind of disapointed in myself, actually.

It was eyeopening to me, that as bf advocate I even had a line where it seemed odd to me. That feeling didn't sit well with me.

Hunter S. Thompson

I have never seen the show, but did hear about it. I fully expect my mom to try offering my 5 year old nursing son a glass of chocolate milk this weekend hoping that will help him to wean.

It's hard to read these threads because of the comments and feelings that a nursing 5 your old brings out in people.
    Lori )O(
    Extended nursing, home birthing, unschooling, Nursing Necklace making, WAHM to Konur 3-11-01 and Mali 6-16-04
    Leave Nursing Necklaces Feedback Here

I haven't seen the show, but in general I find that any depiction of nursing anyone other that an infant in the media is generally not positive.

A few episodes ago on "ER" (My personal 'crappy tv' addiction) there was a woman asking to use the family room to nurse her 3 year old. Everyone on the show kind of went 'eeeewww' and laughed at her.

For what its worth, "Konur's MoM" nursing a 5 year old doesnt freak me out!
    Jamelle

I did happen to see this episode -- which is funny because I've watched the show about twice.
    One thing to keep in mind is that Desperate Housewives is clearly an "over the top" type show with the goal of entertainment. They are not trying to present a balanced view of any particular issue. They did mention some of the benefits of nursing, at least. It's unfortunate that extended nursing was presented as if the child had never had anything else to drink other than breastmilk for 5 years. But let’s face it; a more realistic portrayal of a child who still nurses at the age of 5 wouldn’t likely be fodder for a television show! An older child doesn’t nurse the same way a younger child would. It’s much more likely they would nurse at night, or in the morning, or even only every few days or during times of stress.
    We each have our own feelings about extended nursing and what our "upper limit" might be. It’s a very personal decision for each family to make. What feels right for one mother, wouldn’t work for the next perhaps. There aren’t many who start out with the intention of nursing a child for that many years, but along the way sometimes original plans get changed! LLL doesn’t recommend nursing for any particular length of time, and there are no prizes awarded for length of time – it’s not a contest, in other words! Rather, LLL simply states that “Ideally, the breastfeeding relationship will continue until the baby outgrows the need.”

Mary

Konur's Mom,
    Apologies, that is exactly what I was upset about - I have had no experience with extended bf past about 4 and was disturbed with my own reaction. Now was the tv show designed that way, to illicit that reaction out of people, of course, would I have reacted that way if I saw a real mother and child in a loving moment, I hope not. That is what really bothered me, my own reaction.

Again, my apologies. I was just trying to be honest with myself, frankly, and could only do it here. If I said a word to anyone I actually know they would leap at the chance to point out that I am not as ardent an advocate as I claim to be. I would like to think I just fell prey to something akin to suggestive advertising. In any case that is what I am chalking it up to, I have spent way too much time thinking about his ridiculous tv show.

Hunter S. Thompson