Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: "Real" solids

Default "Real" solids

How old are babies {in general} when they can start true solids, like bits of avocado, banana, cheerios, etc? My LO is doing the "pincer fingers" now to pick things up, and she's eating the soupy-solids 2x a day. TIA

Default Re: "Real" solids

How old are babies {in general} when they can start true solids, like bits of avocado, banana, cheerios, etc? My LO is doing the "pincer fingers" now to pick things up, and she's eating the soupy-solids 2x a day. TIA
    I would say it depends on the child. With my oldest, he ate jarred baby food starting at almost 6 mos. and by 9 mos. he hated it and refused it, and would only eat table food (minus the salt of course)

With my youngest son, we skipped jarred purreed food altogether. He ate cereal for like 2 weeks along with other things, and since then has only had table food(minus the salt of course, and according to the "schedule" IYKWIM) He started about 10 days before he turned 6 mos. old, and we started just mashing things with a fork...although he'd already had crackers...he stole those off my plate and ate them, that's why I started solids 10 days before 6 mos. As I noticed him being able to "chew" even though he had no teeth, I just made things lumpier and lumpier for him. I would say by 6 mos., he had started finger foods and by 7-8 mos., was loving little chunks of soft cooked veggies and lots of stuff like cheerios and other kinds of crackers...we started chicken/meat at 9 mos., although you can start that earlier I've heard...also in little pieces with the grains seperated a bit and about then, he also got thin strips of toast etc.

We started Kesiah on "real" food as soon as she had her pincer grasp down. O's were a good first practice food b/c they get mushy just about as soon as they hit liquid. This is exactly why I don't dig them with milk but makes 'em perfect for a baby with two teeth

In our experience avocado wasn't a great first finger food simply b/c it's so slippery. Banana was a little better, but expect very little picking up and a whole lot of smearing. Think of it as performance art.

Pinto Beans work very well (they're our fav) - they're the perfect size and they mush up nicely in babys mouth. Of course it depends but the pincer grasp is a great sign she'll be able to start practicing!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

chick peas and lima beans smushed out of their skins worked great for us.....
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

My dd is still working on her pincer grasp, but if she can get it in her hand then she'll eat it. She likes cherrios, the gerber puffs, avocado (which I second the pp...it's a bit messy), chicken fingers, string cheese. She goes through phases....really liked fresh green beans for a while and was busted yesterday tossing them on the floor. Too bad we only have cats!

My LO started around 6 months just tasting things like avoc, and banana's but she really didn't get into mushy baby food she has just stayed with table food now at 8 months she eats basically anything we eat but smaller un seasoned pieces of course. Chicken and veggies she had steak the other night. She really enjoyed and still does beans. She eats O's but I did break down and get the gerber Puffs at first becasue the dissolve in her mouth until she got better at chewing. All kids are different..So take it at your LO pace. They let us know when they are ready..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

What I am afraid of is that she won't know to mush it up, and just either try to swallow it or breathe in and choke... Though I did catch her "chewing" on a fuzzball from the carpet the other day.

Sasha -

Here are a couple of great threads on choking vs. gagging:

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=14604
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=14866

Choking = obstructed airway, baby can't breathe = BAD

gagging = baby moving food around in mouth and probably working on spitting it out, baby may gag to the point of throwing up but that's OK = GOOD

If you can take an infant CPR class, they'll teach you what to do if baby is choking. This is both helpful to know, and a big reassurance as your DD moves into more solids. We learned infant CPR as part of a "baby safe" class and I HIGHLY recommend it to all parents (and care givers).

The first time we offered our DS solids it was letting him self-feed some avocado. He liked playing with the food and putting it in his mouth but wasn't so interested in swallowing so did a very great job of gagging out that avocado. Yes - he did trigger his gag reflex and spit up his last nursing session. But I anticipated that this might happen so was calm and soothing with DS (while being ready with CPR skills in case he wasn't able to gag it out and started choking).
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

DJ has only ever eaten "Real food". We did baby led all the way. He never choked. He gagged plenty. Puked a couple of times. But he always dealt w/it on his own. As did every baby in the original study. All babies that were able to sit up and get food into their own mouths were able to deal with it on their own. I trusted the research and we never had problem.

Way too lazy for formula