Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Food sensitive vs teething

Default Food sensitive vs teething

My ds is 7 months old. We started out just after 6 months with rice and barley, but he didn't really care for it. Then the GI doc said to hold of on the grains (he has reflux and eczema). His purpose was to avoid any grain allergies. His instruction was to start with veggies, then fruits, then meats, then finally grains.

My two older girls both had horrible sensitivities to grains- not really to veggies. Now my ds has had sweet potatoes- which gave him horrible gas, night wakefulness, followed by a rash around his penis, etc. When he pooped after it he got red there too. So we stopped the sweet potatoes and did avocado. He's gotten it pretty much every day for over a week. Then last week we added acorn squash. He seemed to like it really well, but after a couple of days he really didn't want to eat any solids, just chew on the spoon. Then after about 4 days on the sqash he got a rash around his penis again.

He has other signs of teething- like more crankiness and lots of drooling. So I don't know if we're looking at a food sensitivity or teething being the culprit. He's had much more gas too, but that could be my fault(although I don't know what I've eaten that's doing it.)

So- thoughts please?

Default Re: Food sensitive vs teething

Bumping for visibility.

its ok to wait untill baby is much older for solid foods, sometimes babies with food allergies self regulate and don't eat much solid foods untill they are much older. Like into thier 2nd year.
    dr sears says that rice is more like a friut then a grain..
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp
    from that link
    Begin with foods that are not likely to cause allergies and that are most like the milk baby is used to. If your baby is used to the sweet taste of human milk, start with mashed bananas. If baby is used to the more bland flavor of formula, try rice cereal mixed with formula (or with your milk if your breastfed baby prefers rice cereal to bananas). Rice is the most intestinal-friendly grain because it is gluten-free, low in protein, and high in carbohydrates. It has a nutritional profile more like a fruit than a grain. Mix the cereal to a soupy consistency and lessen the amount on milk or formula you add as baby gets better at eating.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

heres a good link from kelly moms check out the why delay part.

Thanks for the links! He hasn't had any squash or avocado since Wednesday, but he still has the rash around his penis area. He had nothing but breastmilk on from lunchtime Wed until dinner Thursday night. He just really doesn't seem horribly interested in solids, so I guess I'm just going to not push the solids.