Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super gassy baby can't sleep - need help!

Question Super gassy baby can't sleep - need help!

I apologize in advance for a very long rambling post. I wanted to write down everything we've tried ... And I am so sleep deprived it's hard to organize my thoughts ...

I need some advice. My 9 m.o. dd has very bad gas and typically at night. She's been gassy since day 1 and we've tried everything. Bear with me as I tell our story because I think some of these issues may be relevant. Let me say at the onset that BF has always been great. She latched on great within 20 minutes of birth and never looked back. However, she continues to be a "bad sleeper" and needs soothing every 1-3 (maximum) hours every night because she passes gas. This is an improvement over the REALLY bad nights we had in the past when she would cry every 20-30 minutes . Every time she cries at night and I go to comfort her she passes gas with a rat-tat-tat pellet gun sound, sometimes she would go on and on for several minutes, clearly in discomfort. At first we were told that this is "normal" and that all babies have gas and need to learn what it feels like to pass gas. But dd never got comfortable with the feeling and as a result never learned to fall asleep on her own. She was so miserable and had colic and I could not let her cry so I would cosleep with her and offer the breast and she'd pass gas without fully waking up so at least she got the sleep she needed. When she "did not grow out of it" at 3 months I continued nursing her down to sleep and cosleeping. This was the only way for me to get ANY sleep at all. I had to quit my job because I was so sleep deprived I could not function and was a danger to self, dd and anyone else on the road with me . Now she is in her own crib (although she ends up with me at the end of the night), and I still nurse or rock her back down whenever she wakes up gassy at night. I refuse to do CIO or anything like that especially since I know for sure that the problem is GI discomfort. She also had silent reflux (acid breath and all the symptoms but no major spitting up) but that seems to have resolved on its own over the last month or so. She had constipation but I gave her prune for it and it went away too.

So, to tell the story of all this gas and what we tried from the beginning. When she was days to weeks we figured that she had bad gas because of all the lactose she got when BF since I had an overabundance of milk and overactive letdown on top of that. I followed the suggestion for that, pumping before feeding, feeding twice from same side, etc. She continued to be gassy despite all that. Then we thought that maybe the problem was due to the high dose of antibiotic I receive via-IV during L&D because I was Strep-B positive that got to her and killed the friendly bacteria in her GI system (the ones that help break down milk). So, I started taking Acidophilus and now both dd and I take Culturelle. That had hardly any impact on the gas. So then we thought that it may be sensitivity to cow's milk (casein), since she also had a rash on her cheeks, arms and legs. Well, she seems to be sensitive to it. I eliminated anything containing milk, whey, casein or derivatives out of my diet for 2 weeks and the rash went away and the gas situation improved to where she no longer woke up every 20-30 minutes. However, when I looked up symptoms for cow milk sensitivity in BF infants gas was not listed . We also tried OTC gas drops with Simethicone. And Gripe Water. I even made my own with fresh spearmint, fennel, anise & chamomile. That didn't work either. My Pediatrician suggested Comfrey, but I am a bit scared because it's potent stuff. Has anyone tried it? I also eliminated onion out of my diet, since I noticed that had some impact on the gas. Bottom line is that dd still has really bad gas. She contorts her face in pain and cries so miserably it breaks my heart to hear her. I can tell that all she is to just able to stay asleep and be comfortable. The next experiment is to eliminate wheat, but I am not sure whether wheat does traverse trough breast milk and whether it would cause gas if it did. Is there a resource out there that discusses what does go through breast milk and what doesn't and what causes gas or doesn't? Anything else I should try? I read somewhere that it may help if the mom takes pancreatic enzyme to help break down any of the proteins that may be going to baby via her breast milk. I am willing to try anything to help us all sleep better. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Mom2Annika; March 27th, 2006 at 11:44 PM.

Default Re: Super gassy baby can't sleep - need help!

I wish I had more to offer but I have not tried comfrey so I can't help ya there. DS is very sensitive to any dairy that I consume (I have completely cut it out now) and when I did eat it it gave him horrible gas (me too for that matter) so I would not discount that as a possability still. If your pediatrician doesn't think that this is a big enough deal, which it clearly is, I would highly recommend looking for another one. Good luck and keep posting on how it's going.

Thanks for your comment. Do you know if your sensitivity to milk is lactose intolerance? I think she may be sensitive to a couple different things, probably milk, onions and something else. DH is lactose intolerant (he is Asian ) so I have been wondering if that could be a problem for dd.

heres some links:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/allergies.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...gSep97p75.html

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T041200.asp

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T041800.asp

Most-Allergenic Foods from dr sears

berries
    buckwheat
    chocolate
    cinnamon
    citrus fruits
    coconut
    corn
    dairy products
    egg whites
    mustard
    nuts
    peas
    peanut butter
    pork
    shellfish
    soy
    sugar
    tomatoes
    wheat
    yeast

hope you can figure out what is bothering baby! are you drinking milk now?
    if so I would not. And cut out hidden dairy. one more thing do you drink a lot of caffine? a lot of babies are bothered by caffine. One of my leaders dd would stay up all night if mommy had a glass of tea or pop. lol She just learned not to drink it. call your local lll leader she might know some moms that have alergy kids. One of the ladies that I know from church has kids that have all kinds of alergies cows milk soy nuts cocolate corn they even had trouble with rice cereal. They couldn't when they were smaller have anything with sugar in it. She made all their food. even k-up because of the corn syrup. they are older now and only the oldest has problems with ashama they also did some alergy shots that were experimental that helped alot.
    its easier to go things with help and support from somebody that has been there done that.

Oh, I had completely forgotten about the coffee. that is a really good point. DS tends to have a much harder time with his tummy if I have more than 1-2 cups during the day. I have to nurse him before my morning cup, then eat, then have my cup of coffee in order for it not to bother him (can you tell that I am addicted to coffee?). But to answer your other question, yes, we are all pretty much lactose intollerant with the exception of DH. DD could not have dairy either when she was a baby, and when she eats things even with hidden dairy (casein, etc) she gets a pimply rash on her nose. I have been vegetarian for a while and recently went vegan again so that has helped me be even more sensitive about what I am eating that might upset DS's little tummy.

Watch for things that have milk proteins in them as well, because those can be a problem too, not just the lactose. And the lable might say lactose free, but read the ingredients and it will say if there are milk proteins in it.

Hope things get better really soon. Oh, and a few other things that I cannot eat that give DS gas or upset tummy. Sweet potatoes, broccoli, textured vegetable protein, anything more than mildly spicy.

WOW, that sounds like no fun yogachick. so what do you all usually eat with all those allergies? ds is gassy/fussy if I would have dairy, onions and eggs that I know of. And does anyone know if there is a certain amount of cinammon that must be eaten for it to affect baby? I love a little cinammon in my oatmeal in the am.

LOL, I usually spend quite a bit of time at the grocery store reading lables (comes with food allergies and veganism). I use soy cheeze that is casein free since most soy cheeses contain it as a melting agent. Onions don't bother him cooked, just raw. I really tend to eat what I make and don't buy a lot of processed foods for anyone in the family. DH makes fun of me and calls it shower curtain food but none the less I feel much better and so do the kids.

Thanks for all your comments, ladies. Yogachick - your DS' reaction to milk sounds a lot like my DD's. DD had skin problems first (including a really bad case of "baby acne" that would not go away) before we figured out it was the milk. I *love* dairy so I used to have a lot of it every day. Once we figured it out I eliminated all dairy, anything with casein or whey or any other derivatives (I found a really good list of all the things to watch out for here http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html), so I know there's something else going on. BTW, I did discover in the proces that *I* am sensitive to dairy. I've had skin problems my entire life. I would get an angry rash on my face and have seen I don't know how many dermatologists for it. It would come and go and since nobody ever suggested that dairy could be the problem, I didn't make the connection. Once I gave up dairy for DD, my problems went away to. So it is no surprise that with a lactose intolerant dad and a milk sensitive mom DD has a problem with milk. But even after I cut that out she continued to be pretty gassy. I think the caffeine could be an issue. I typically have a small coffee and a cup of tea every day. I like your strategy on how to get that cup of coffee / tea in . I am not an addict, but living I live in Seattle and coffee is everywhere . Thanks for posting the list fr. Dr. Sears and the links, Andrea. I'll definitely check those out. I am sorry to hear about your friend at church whose kids have all those allergies. That has to be hard.

I had to eliminate ANY and ALL wheat products, Coffee, Citrus fruits, milk and Chocolate from my diet in order to see any difference. I know drink Almond milk. I give my daughter Organic Gripe water and I take 2 pills 3 times a day of Acidophilus as well as mix 1/2 teaspoon with 8 ml of non-tap water morning and night and give to her. I give her 1 ml of Tahatian Noni Juice in morning and night.

The biggest thing I did where I noticed a difference was.... Purchase Chamomile and ginger teas and I make them like a ice tea and drink it all day long (I also use Mothers Milk.... but if you are over abundant, you may not want to do that)...... Both work well with the digestive system and since I have been doing this we have really noticed a difference. I guess it is getting into the bm some way or another and helping her out more.....
    Last edited by mamajenn; April 1st, 2006 at 07:24 PM.

I'll ring in on the Gripe Water - BEST thing we ever did!

We give her about 2 teaspoons a day - in 1/2 tsp doses - and it helps so much - after we give it to her she almost immediately farts or burps.