Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it a reaction to strawberries?

Default Is it a reaction to strawberries?

Just wanting to get some opinions here...
    Connor has never had a reaction to anything he's eaten (he' nearly 13 months). He does have sensitive skin (gets that from his mother ), and is prone to eczema. Now, I know that eczema can be linked to food allergies, but based on discussions with his ped we don't think that's the cause. He's had it on and off all his life, it jumps around his body, and its never been severe. Everything has always been cleared up with a good slathering of cetaphil cream and occasional cortizone. The things that seem to bother it most are sweat and drool (so hot days and teething are tougher times!). On Sunday he got strawberries for the first time. Had them again on Monday night and again this evening. I noticed yesterday a few small bumps around his mouth and today its in the crook of his elbows. Its also been very warm these same days (i.e. sweat) and he has a runny nose (which can also irritate the skin on his face).
    So, what do you all think, is it an actual reaction to strawberries or am I just more worried about it because strawberries are always talked about as a potential allergen?
    We have one more container of strawberries in the fridge and then he likely won't get anymore until we go shopping again. I'm tempted to keep feeding them to him for the next day or two and see if things clear up or get worse.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Is it a reaction to strawberries?

My son had a reaction to stawberries when he was smaller - it made his eczema worse, especially on his chin and neck (though the main culprit was milk). The only way to tell is to cut out the offending food for a couple of weeks and note how the skin is, and then reintroduce it for a few days, whilst avoiding anything else that you think might be a cause - so do it when it isn't too warm and he doesn't have a runny nose.

On the plus side, my son is now 3 and is fine with strawberries as long as I don't let him eat a whole punnet. His milk allergy is much less of a problem too.

Thanks for the response. His eczema isn't worse, just in a different place than the last time he had some. Last night I was leaning towards a reaction, but today less so. Any other thoughts?

As a parent with a child with eczema, I know how frustrating it can be to try to interpret every rash. If it were not a worsening of eczema, I would probably not attribute it to the strawberries. Has he had any more? I would perhaps feed him strawberries a couple more times to see if it gets worse or not.

Angela