Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: prescriptions for increasing milk supply

Default prescriptions for increasing milk supply

I asked earlier about taking fenugreek to increase milk supply but has anyone ever taken a prescription to increase their milk supply and did it work and have any side effects? Who would you go to to get one from?

Default Re: prescriptions for increasing milk supply

Hi! I took Reglan to increase milk production. It worked very well for me. I was also pumping and taking fenugreek- they both helped a lot, especially the pumping. I had no side effects from the Reglan, though it does carry an increased risk for depression. If you have a family history of depression it pays to be cautious when taking the drug. I got my prescription from my midwife.

Hi. I got a rx for reglan from my ob but couldn't take it.Caused me to have panic attacks. I got domperidone over the internet and it worked great!!! No side effects!

The best prescription medication (in my non-medical opinion) is domperidone. It has side effects like any drug but I haven't had any problems. There are several threads discussing it on these forums. It is difficult to get a prescription in the US for complicated reasons, but it is possible. You have to find a knowledgeable OB. It is illegal in the US for regular pharmacies to distribute it, despite the fact that I am told it is safer than Reglan, and it is available normally by prescription in Canada and other countries. The way to get it legally in the US is to find a compounding pharmacist. If you're in the Boston area I can tell you where to find one (or they might even ship it for you...). But you do need to find a doctor who will prescribe it.

I have taken Reglan with good results. I took 10mg three times a day for a while (about 2 weeks) then tapered off of it. I take it occassionally when I feel my supply has dropped or DS is eating more than usual. It does have some side effects but I didn't have any. If you have any history of PPD or depression in general, be sure to let you doctor know before you start this medication.

i ordered domperidone online and it took no time for me to get it. not sure about how well it works. i got it because i had problems with my supply with my last baby.
    i wanted to make sure i had it on hand if i needed it

Domperidone (brand name Motilium) is a prescription galactogogue, similar to Reglan but with fewer side effects. Since it is a prescription drug, it should only be used as a last resort after it has been determined that you really do have a low milk supply or failure to thrive (FTT) situation. While it is generally considered safe, most people discuss using it with their family doctor, ob/gyn, or pediatrician before resorting to using this drug.

The best info on this drug is found on the kelly mom site and includes info on usage, dosage, politics behind its use and non-use, legality, medical journal articles about its use, etc.

More info is found on the BFAR site .

Domperidone can be obtained in the US from compounding pharmacies, or on the internet without prescription from:

http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/general/motilium.html

When my baby was about a month old, I took reglan, which I received from my gynecologist. It worked within 5-7 days. I took it for a couple of months with no side effects. I was even told it would help with my baby's acid reflux as it passed through the milk. Feeling my supply was back up, and not liking to take medications anyhow, I stopped taking it.

The beginning of this year, I was sick with strep throat and my supply really dwindled. I restarted the reglan and within about a month began feeling very anxious and sad. I suddenly could not stand to leave my LO in his wonderful nursery that he'd been attending for several months with no problems! I do not have a personal history of depression, nor a family history of depression. I think my baby was noticing this change in me and at that point realized, it was not worth making the extra breast milk if I couldn't enjoy my life.

So I discontinued the reglan and began taking B vitamins (I'm vegetarian and was concerned my LO might be using up my B's faster than I could get them), and I have been feeling MUCH better. I still miss him everyday!

My milk supply is still not quite enough, so I supplement about 3-6 ounces a day. I plan on trying fenugreek soon.

I'm taking Domperidone. You don't need a prescription if ordered out of the country.

I can't say I notice a big increase but then again I'm also drinking Mothers Milk tea and and taking blessed thistle and drinking lots of water. I also have had every b/f problem known to woman so I'm not a good case. But my milk did NOT double or anything....

I can vouch that Fenugreek has some effect but it burns out after a while.

Kind a kills me to have the Increasing Supply forum right next to the Oversupply forum..... How can anybody have an "oversupply"?!?!?!