Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suggestions?

Default Suggestions?

when im nursing dylan, i lay him on his boppy across me and nurse but sometimes he lets the milk run out of his mouth towards the end of the first side. Its not because he's full because he does it on the first breast. Is he just being lazy? or is his little bit of congestion due to his cold causing him to do it? At first I thought he might just be full and want to just suck but then I can latch him on the other side and he sucks away without letting it run out. Sometimes he also does it on the second one but usually not until we get towards the end of him nursing. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong or if this is just normal?

Default Re: Suggestions?

Sounds relatively normal. How old is he? The congestion thing could be a real part of the issue too, if he is stuffy it may just be too much for him by the time he is done with each side. If he is latching on correctly and gaining weight, acting normal etc I wouldn't worry.

He is 8 weeks as of yesterday. He is latching on correctly and being my little chunky monkey. We also have been fighting thrush for the last month or so he is still on the Nystatin and that is also going on my nipples and I am also taking Fluconozale? by mouth to help clear it up.

Thank you for the reassurance!

I noticed something last night and this morning when i was nursing him that it seems to happen more when he is laying on his left side nursing on my right breast. I just want to make sure that there isnt something medically wrong or anything like that. He is getting plenty and is having plenty of wet diapers. Just need a little reassurance.

Does he fuss, squirm or pull off more on that side? DD did the same thing, it turned out to be an ear infection.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)