Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rice cereal?

Default Re: rice cereal?

[QUOTE=
    I don't think that you should judge those who do or those who don't. It really is OK to make your own decision - you will not always agree with your ped - doesn't make him/her a bad doctor - you just need to trust your instinct. None of this is black and white. You will not always agree with those who post on these boards either. Thats OK too. They are moms just like you and me. [/QUOTE]

i shouldnt have called my ped dumb....ive never even met the guy (only his np, and i like her )
    i'm so mean. actually, i didnt even mean it. thats why i shouldnt have said it. dont tell him. like ive said before on another topic, i like to gets lots and lots of input from lots of different people and then make my own decision.
    and what i think i'll do is keep trying it every week or so and see if he likes it. he had this confused look on his face (so cute) but he was "chewing" and not spitting it out, although alot of it just ran out of his mouth.

thank you for your replies. it's so nice to be able to talk to moms with lo's the same age. i feel so isolated sometimes (hence why i am ALWAYS on this computer)
    Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering

Hello all!!
    My DS just turned 5 months old and I have been wondering about rice cereal myself. My ped. said that he was ready to start cereal at his 4 month appointment, but I have held off. Is there any nutritional value to rice cereal? How often should it be given to LO once I start the cereal. How long should you give LO's rice cereal before starting veggies, fruits etc.? I am a first time mommy and have lots of questions.

i hear that it is not needed for the fist 6-9 months. check out the links that were posted at the start of this thread.
    but i think i am going to start slowly giving a little cereal a couple/few times a week for a couple weeks and see how that goes. lots of info here on this forum! but im the one asking questions, myself!
    Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering

Red face Re: rice cereal?

I think every baby (and mom) is different. Another mom/baby that I know (he was born 1 day before my DD) have the same ped that I do, and at our 4 month visit they were told to just continue with breastmilk and I was told (by the same doc) that I could start some cereal if I wanted to. She was an early sitter and was VERY interested in food already at the time (would open and shut her mouth and chew when she watched me eating). So I did end up starting with some cereal around 5 months, and she loved it.
    I will say that now (at 7months) we have struggled a little because although she LOVES everything I offer her, a lot of foods have given her an upset stomach and I can't help but wonder if I HAD waited if we would be having the same problems. But I think it is human nature to question ourselves and if I had waited and she had the same reaction, I might be wishing I had started earlier . . . .so who knows.

I think you need to look at your baby and their readiness, rather than the calendar age (within reason).
    Good luck!