Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rice cereal?

Default rice cereal?

thought i might give ds his first little bit of rice cereal. he's 4.5 mo old. i know you guys like to wait until six months. i guess i need you to either talk me out of it, or give me advice. i was thinking of giving him a little every afternoon for a week or so and then maybe some sweet potatoes, just a tiny bit for another week.....and once a week doing a different veggie or fruit.....

i'm ready for my lashing now.....

Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering

Default Re: rice cereal?

I don't think you'll get a lashing - but there's lots and lots of links in this solids forum re: solids and when/how to start ans why to choose to delay.

My only question is why would you want to start them? That's the real question, really.

ETA:
    okay - here's one (in the end it's really your choice mama )

Why Delay Solids.
    Last edited by Number3; March 14th, 2007 at 12:23 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

because i'm bored. no, not really. i just think he would like some. my mom was letting him gnaw on a cold carrot the other day when he was teething, and he seemed to really be enjoying it. so i thought i'd get started with a little cereal and bm. maybe i'd only give it to him everyother day.....or every few days.....

because i'm bored. no, not really. i just think he would like some. my mom was letting him gnaw on a cold carrot the other day when he was teething, and he seemed to really be enjoying it. so i thought i'd get started with a little cereal and bm. maybe i'd only give it to him everyother day.....or every few days.....
    Having had 2 kids now, I can say from experience, that when your son liked chewing on a cold carrot when he was teething, it wasn't because he wanted to eat the carrot. It probably because it was easy to chew on and it was cold, so it probably nummed(sp?) his gums to some extent and provided some relief from the pressure and pain and teething. Carrots can break off in little chunks which baby can choke on...especially once he gets a tooth or two out, so its not really the best teething item, as he doesn't have molars, and won't have the capacity to chew up a raw carrot.

Here is some info from the main LLL website about starting solids, including the link, so you can read more.

Your baby is starting to get ready for solids when:

he is about four months old
    he becomes more sociable, playing and holding "conversations" with you during a nursing session
    he has a growth spurt and nurses more frequently for a while
    he imitates the chewing motions you make whilst eating -- he is practicing!

You will know that he is really ready to start solids when:

he is about six months old
    he can sit up without any support
    he continues to be hungry despite more frequent nursing which is unrelated to illness or teething
    he has lost the tongue-thrusting reflex and does not push solids out of his mouth
    he can pick up things with his finger and thumb (pincer grasp)

Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.

Listen to your baby! Babies with a tendency to allergies may refuse solids until later in their first year. As long as they are growing well and are happy and healthy, there is no need for concern.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

And here is another quote I found at the same link...it includes its own link to the AAP publication where the quote is from:

The American Academy of Pediatrics:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...ull/100/6/1035

"Exclusive breastfeeding is ideal nutrition and sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months after birth. Infants weaned before 12 months of age should not receive cow's milk feedings but should receive iron-fortified infant formula. Gradual introduction of iron-enriched solid foods in the second half of the first year should complement the breast milk diet. It is recommended that breastfeeding continue for at least 12 months, and thereafter for as long as mutually desired."
    "In the first 6 months, water, juice, and other foods are generally unnecessary for breastfed infants. Vitamin D and iron may need to be given before 6 months of age in selected groups of infants (vitamin D for infants whose mothers are vitamin D-deficient or those infants not exposed to adequate sunlight; iron for those who have low iron stores or anemia)."

well, i thought i would give it a whirl. and i just gave him a little cereal really, really diluted with bm.....he totally was not into it. i think i'll be waiting awhile longer. why do peds suggest giving cereal at 4 months? are they dumb, or what? i mean, the concept behind waiting until 6 mo or so makes so much more sense. but ever since they suggested it to me, my little mind has been churning and wanting to go ahead and try it. im so impressionable sometimes

*and yes, i know about the carrots breaking up and just feeling good on his gums, but it was good that day! and thank you!

I think some Peds are just really out of date. My Pedi is Great, he has a 2 year old daughter who is still breastfeed and they didn't start solids until she was about 7 months (Or so he says anyways) personaly I started solids with Gracie when she was a little over 5 months. It was a personal decision and she was ready. I think you have to do what is best for your family and baby.
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

we'll test the waters next month. i think i may look for a new ped. the more i learn, the more i am going AGAINST what they say. theres my signal.

I have a 15.5 lb 4 month old and my ped told us to start cereal last week. He has seemed to really enjoy it. He's definitely trying to "chew" it instead of sucking. I think it just varies from baby to baby. But I had thought that we wouldn't be doing this for a while yet, so I haven't read up on how to introduce solids. How long should I go with just cereal? When is it okay to introduce fruits, veggies, etc.?

really? my ds is 17#, 4.5 mos.....how are you mixing cereal? with bm? what ratio? ours was 1 tbsp cereal to 4 tbsp bm....really runny. keep me posted on your experiences

We started cereal (very runny with milk) at a little more than 4 months. We do it about 3 times a week, and she loves it. Its been about 3 weeks, and we have done some homemade veggies as well. She only eats about a tablespoon or so total, but smiles through the whole experience.

We have a book by a woman named Annabel Karmel called The Healthy Baby Meal Planner, which is basically a plan and cookbook for making healthy, homemade baby foods. Its great.

I don't think that you should judge those who do or those who don't. It really is OK to make your own decision - you will not always agree with your ped - doesn't make him/her a bad doctor - you just need to trust your instinct. None of this is black and white. You will not always agree with those who post on these boards either. Thats OK too. They are moms just like you and me.