Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I a lazy nurser?

Default Re: Am I a lazy nurser?

I think if he needs a burp, he won't go deep into sleep, because the gas bubble will be making his tummy hurt. So if he's nursing to sleep, he's fine.

When my son was tiny and still needed burping after each feeding, I wouldn't even sit up in bed to do it. While still lying on my side, I would prop him up against my hip and pat/rub his back to help get the bubble up. Talk about a lazy nurser! LOL. But seriously, when you're exhausted, even these tiny measures can make a world of difference in how much rest you get and how you feel the next morning.

--Rebecca

DS had reflux really bad so we had to burp him constantly, with dd I hardly ever even make attempts to burp her, usually she will burp herself while nursing, she will squirm for a min, smile, burp then go back to happily nursing. BF babies don't get as much air as bottle fed babies do, so unless baby is crying because of gas I see no reason to loose sleep over burping.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Thanks! I guess I should play it by ear if he seems gassy, then I'll make the effort to burp him. Otherwise, I'll let him fall asleep. I am still trying to figure out why he cries during some nursing sessions. Maybe it's because he gets really gassy and may have reflux. What were the symptoms for your DS that you determined he had bad reflux? You probably couldn't nurse lying down with him?

Thumbs up Re: Am I a lazy nurser?

Thats what I do at night! Baby is in between us. When she starts fussing to eat I roll over, pull it out, latch her and go back to sleep. I wake up later put it back in my nighty, roll over and go back to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by babycrazy2
    I, too, change my baby's diaper in bed, and have started to nurse lying down at night as well, and it's great! My only concern is shouldn't the baby be burped before falling back to sleep? Most of the time, my db will sleep while nursing this way and I won't burp him before we both settle back into deep sleep. I feel this isn't good for him, though. Is it alright?
    I think it's ok if the baby sleeps peacefully without fussing or excessively spitting up then you probably don't need to burp him. I was worried at first with my son but then I noticed he doesn't need to be burped at night like he does in the daytime. I think the reason is because in the day they gulp the milk but at night they are half asleep and drink really slow, not swallowing as much air.