Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing affecting fertility?

Question nursing affecting fertility?

I have been nursing my dd for 3 years now. I am about to turn 41 and I really want to get pregnant soon. I am concerned that bf'ing may be affecting my ability to get pregnant. A LLL leader asked me if I was menstruating and when I said yes, she said ,well then you are ovulating. I really don't know the mechanics, but I do know that although women over 35 continue to menstruate they are nowhere near as fertile as those under 35. So, is it possible that bf'ing may be further hurting my chances of getting pregnant? I glanced at a book in the library about mothers over 35 and it warned against extended bf'ing by older mothers for this reason.
    I am really ready to wean anyway ( I think) and have been talking w/ dd about not nursing after she turns 3 (in a week). She nurses for nap, sleep and at least once during the night and at least once during the day.
    I would love any info.
    Thanks!!

Default Re: nursing affecting fertility?

Hey way to go! There is an awesome off the LLL catalog call Breastfeeding and natural childspacing that fully explains how and if nursing affects fertility. Also the couple to couple league book on achieving pregnancy naturally is awesome for learning to read your own body's fertility signals and all that. Hope that helps.

Melissa

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I think before you wean you should be absolutely sure that you are indeed ovulating... I'd get your hands on the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler. It really helped me to figure out when I'm actually ovulating. That way, you can figure out whether you really do need to wean, kwim?

Jacqui

I second the recommendation for "TCOYF"! I started charting when DS was about 10 months old and found out that, even though I was having 28 day cycles, I was ovulating on CD 22 and had a 6 day luteal phase, very short. I took some measures to correct my luteal phase defect and right after DS turned 14 months found out I was pregnant with #2. I am now 23 weeks pregnant and my 18 month old DS is still nursing 5-12 times a day and I am planning on tandem nursing.

Good luck!