Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forced to travel w/out baby

Default Re: Forced to travel w/out baby

Since your baby is 5 months old, you could try other methods of feeding him. Many babies this age do just fine with a sippy cup. You could try a couple of different brands, some moms swear by the ones with the softer spout. You could start trying now and see what happens. HTH,

You're right...he is getting to the point where he could take a cup but I think my main concern is more his mental health rather than where he'll get his nutrition. I know he'll eventually eat if he's hungry but I worry about him not being able to calm himself if he can't suck. (Been reading the "Rights of Infants"...good reading but makes a working mom feel quite guilty!)

I'm sorry, I can now see your concern is also that he nurses a lot for comfort to soothe himself and you won't be there to provide that. Is he going to be with your dh? Is there anything that you know works now, that he can plan to do for him when he is fussy? I can see how this is worrisome for you. Maybe you and dh will brainstorm some good ideas to help him through your time away. BTW, you sound like a caring and thoughtful mom who should NOT be feeling guilty right now!

Yes, thankfully I have an amazing husband who will be with him in my absence (at least in the evening). My two year old daughter is also a great source of joy for my son. I'm trying to remember that it's just a few days...hopefully he'll make do. I don't want to sound like I'm the only one who can care for my son but only nursing moms understand that bond. Try to explain the whole suckling thing to a mom who has only bottle fed and you get blank stares. Thanks for the reassurance! I appreciate that.