Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I start giving DD water and juices now...

Default Do I start giving DD water and juices now...

she is 6mo and wondering
    1.)When do I start to give her water and juice?
    2.)If now how much water and how much juice and what flavor?
    3.)When during the day do I give her these things?
    4.)Whenever she starts to drink these things will she not be interested in my milk as much anymore?

Thanks everyone for all of yall's (im from texas yall LOL) help always!
    Last edited by brubio; March 13th, 2007 at 10:11 AM. Reason: i missed some questions to add

Default Re: Do I start giving DD water and juices now...

There's really no reason to give juice at all, nor water if your baby is breastfed. The breastmilk should provide all the fluids your baby needs.

That said, I admit that I used a very watered-down version of juice for my kids to get them to drink out of a sippy....my twins wouldn't drink formula from a sippy, and my youngest wouldn't drink EBM out of a sippy (or a bottle, either).

Just my 2 cents.....

Lisa

Juice isn't reccommended for babies anymore. It's so highly concentrated with sugar with out all the fiber and vitamins that you get when eating the whole fruit. Water can be introduced with any solid meals so your LO gets used to drinking and appreciating water. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

My LO is 7.5 mo and we recently started giving water as "practice". So far LO isn't interested in any sippy cups, but likes taking sips of water from my glass and also likes to grab my bike bottle when I'm using that to drink water.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I also wanted to add my experience with the sippy cups... the ones with the spouts, DS didn't care for - but the one with the straw - man, he goes to town on that one.!

Good luck OP - I agree with the PP's
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I would STRONGLY advise against introducing juices of ANY kind. Once they taste juice, it's a battle to get them to drink water.

Keep them on water for as long as possible.