Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: three meals a day?

Question three meals a day?

Hi everyone,
    my son was born 8 lbs 14oz
    he is EBF
    at my son's six month checkup he dropped from the fiftieth percentile for weight down to the tenth. His head and height are still fiftieth. When the nurse asked me about what soilds he was eating I said "well not much, I am introducing foods, but not everyday, maybe 3 times a week". She said "OH well he really should already be on solids"
    They wanted in back at seven months to check his weight..which was yesterday...he weighed in at 15 lbs 9 oz....He is still in he tenth percentile...and the doctor said that they are kind of worried?? But he is happy, healthy (never been sick), crawling, super strong....he nurses on demand and and when he is grouchy The doctor asked about solids again and said that I have to start a regular routine wih the solids....1 meal a day for 2 weeks..then two meals a day for two weeks...then by the time he is eight months old and has to go back in to get weighed again she wants him on three meals a day.
    I have problems with this because I just have this "feeling" that he is not ready for three meals a day and that it will have some negative effects on breastfeeding....my son is happy with the breast...is content after eating...so I don't see why I should push this??? I thought that breastmilk contained more calories per ounce than anything else baby would eat. Does anyone know for sure if solids are NEEDED in the first year as long as baby is happy with the breast? Is there anything that breastmilk is not giving him enough of to be healthy? He doesn't even have teeth yet , which means to me that he is supposed to be just nursing still. any help, questions, comments would be appreciated.
    Last edited by ee_lime; March 13th, 2007 at 07:50 AM.

Default Re: three meals a day?

OK. For what it's worth, I'm not a doctor. BUT, you are right that solids don't have the same amount of nutrition and calories that breastmilk does. So, solids aren't going to "make" your baby gain weight. I think you're on the right track with what you're doing. If your baby seems satisfied and is developing normally in every other way, and is gaining weight steadily, then chances are things are fine.

What weight charts is your doctor using? Did you know that there are different charts for formula-fed babies than there are for breastfed babies?

The other thing I wanted to mention that since your baby is crawling, he is likely burning LOTS of calories with that new skill. All 3 of my kids dropped on the "charts" dramatically after 6 months of age. All of them were in the 75th percentile or above before 6 months, then after that went below 50th percentile for weight.

I'd also like to add that with my youngest, he didn't eat much solids at all until he was about 8 months old, and didn't eat 3 "meals" until after he was a year old.

Listen to your own instincts. If you still feel strongly about your position, you can always find another pediatrician.

Lisa

BTW, solids in the first year are really for experimentation....they're not "needed".

yeah I know about the growth charts, WHO came out with a new growth chart that is supposed to be how children are supposed to grow whether they are formula fed or bf but i saw a FAQ on their website that says if you want to use their charts for eb infants then you need to take into account that bf babies don't gain as fast after 4-6 months....I tried to talk to the doc about this but it is hard because of the language barrier, he is middle eastern, and it is very hard to understand him sometimes, and i will say bf babies grow different, and he says oh no no no they are the same.

I'd say that if you're having a hard time with your pedi, then it may be time to switch.....You really need to be able to trust your doctor, and if you're questioning his stance now (with good reason, mind you), then you're likely to question it later. A good doc will look at the big picture, not about where your child is on the charts. It sounds like you know all this already. Keep going with your instincts--only YOU know your child best!

Lisa

A clue I got from one of the earlier posts to plump up a breastfed baby a little bit is to give avocados which are very good for babies and very high in calories. Also he needs some iron-rich food after six months. I think instead of applying the ridiculous idea of 3 meals a day, you can give your baby some avocados and some meat or iron-fortified cereal once a day. That way he will get some extra nutrients and calories and also get used to solid textures.

I agree with all the previous posts, ignore the growth charts and look at your baby! My DD was at 10th percentile for weight early on, but at 6 months she had fallen off the chart completely (but was 25th for length and 45th for head) and because she LOVES her solids she has been on 1-2 meals a day since about 5 months. But I always nurse her first because the breastmilk is still the best thing for them . . .and as far as calorie counts, 1 oz of breastmilk= @22 calories, if you look at the fruit and veggie baby foods most are about 35 calories in a 2.5 oz jar (bananas and avocados as previously posted are higher in calories) . . . .So you are better off with primarily breastmilk and just use solids as an extra depending on how much your DO wants to eat. My ped recommended to aim for 3 meals/day by 9 months, but some 1 year olds don't even do that, there is a lot of variation from baby to baby and mom to mom.

my ped told me the same as the pp. 3 meals a day at 9 months and 2 meals a day before that. i think your baby is fine.

I am having a similar problem. Euan is 7 1/2 months old and not really interested in eating. If I feed him purees from a spoon, he wont open his mouth and I have to trick him by making him laugh. I only manage to get about 4 or 5 small spoonfuls into him and then he clamps his jaws shut, or spits out everything that goes in. He is a lot more enthusiatstic about self feeding, but then even less gets swallowed. If I give him things like cooked veg or soft fruit, he bites bits off and spits them out - only very occasionally chewing anything and even rarer swallowing. The only thing he seems to manage to get something down his throat it mashed potato- feeding himself with fistfuls. I'm not sure how much goes in, but he seems to enjoy putting it in his mouth and at least seems to be swallowing some of it.

So I was quite happy letting him feed himself and explore food, rather than spoonfeed him and make food a stressful experience. His weight had dipped when I started to wean him (from between the 9th and 25th centiles to nearer the 2nd centile), but then started to follow the 2nd centile. Then today I got him weighed and his weight had actually gone down - back to what it was 4 weeks ago, and close to the 0.4 centile. His length is on the 75th centile, so he is really lght for his length - though his head circumfrance is more in line with his weight usually between the 9th and 2nd centile. So the HV has passed me onto the GP who will probably refer on to a paedeatrician or a dietician and I am just worried that all this fuss is going to give him a complex about food, because I am starting to get stressed about mealtimes.

I don't have a question really, just wanted to let off steam a little. And I will certainly buy some avocadoes and see if he likes it.

PS forgot to say - he certainly isn't lacking in energy. He is never still. If he is on my knee he wants to be standing up and jumping, if on the floor his is commando crawling and rolling constantly!
    Last edited by KatyK; March 13th, 2007 at 11:20 AM.

Your 6-7 month old is CRAWLING? Well, that right there explains the drop in percentile. When we told our pedi that our little one was getting his legs underneath him ready to take off, he actually warned us ahead of time that his weight might drop from 50th to, say, 25th or so since he'll be getting more exercise. He hasn't given advice about how many meals, and he also wasn't concerned when I told him that we had just started experimenting with solids at 6 months.

My little one's (almost 8 mos now) vary from day to day. It depends on his appetite, my mood and the appropriateness of what we've got in the house.

It's funny how one pedi would be worried about a drop in weight and another would say to expect it.

I say trust yourself and your baby.
    Theresa

That's interesting what your ped said. My ped says that the fruit and veggies that babies usually start with are really like diet foods because they don't have much caloric value and that bf was where they get most of their calories from. I agree with the pp though...avocados are great. My dd eats the iron-fortified oatmeal mixed with fruit too.